Which routers avail in SA have full LTE-A support?

airborne

Executive Member
I have a TPlink MR-200 which I thought had LTE-A because it was supported by RAIN which was apparently an LTE-A only network but it turns out it is not, the MR200 is LTE only.

This explains the difference between the 2 nicely:

The major difference between networks and devices that support LTE-Advanced – also called LTE-A – and LTE is a feature called carrier aggregation.

Carrier aggregation refers to the ability of the network or device to combine capacity – bandwidth – which may be scattered over the radio frequency spectrum.

For example, a mobile operator in South Africa may have spectrum in the 900MHz, 1,800MHz, and 2,100MHz frequency bands.

Previously, when a phone connected to a network, it would connect in only one of these bands. The device would have access to the maximum bandwidth available in that band, which was always smaller than 20MHz.

With carrier aggregation, bandwidth across multiple frequencies can be combined to give devices access to chunks of bandwidth larger than 20MHz, which means faster speeds.

LTE with carrier aggregation, or LTE-Advanced, is defined in 3GPP Release 10.

My question is which routers currently available in SA are fully LTE-A compliant and support carrier aggregation?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Not all carrier aggregation is the same and in SA there are quite a number of combinations. Depends what network and what router model number

Swa

Honorary Master
You'll want CAT 11. The Huawei B618 is CAT 11. The B525 and B612 is LTE-A but doesn't have full support.

Really with the price difference just go for the B618.

natalmidlands

All the LTE and LTE A routers provided by the networks seem to be made by Huawei.
Are there any other router brands that would not be minimum spec but cater for these endless "band aggregations" and future changes.
I have a adsl TPlink router which i suspect is not LTE compatible but worked brilliantly.
Also not wanting to get locked to a single network by buying their router.

H_Justini

All the LTE and LTE A routers provided by the networks seem to be made by Huawei.
Are there any other router brands that would not be minimum spec but cater for these endless "band aggregations" and future changes.
I have a adsl TPlink router which i suspect is not LTE compatible but worked brilliantly.
Also not wanting to get locked to a single network by buying their router.
ZTE also makes LTE routers. They have a ZTE MF286 which is cat 6.

Networks do not lock you to their networks when you use their router. At least not that I know of.

Smokey mcpot

Ive got access to a dwr956m... Anyone got some feedback on the LTE capabilities of this router?

Daruk

Honorary Master
I see Otto networks is selling TP link router's and antennas... It's in the black Friday section.

chakniks

tp-link m7650 does seem to support LTE-A on paper.
just need someone whose owned it to confirm