Which Service Provider is best in SA?

Wolvyreen

Hi Guys,

I have been running a hosting business since 2005 and for the past 7 years, I have been using Domains.co.za for a lot of my service needs. They have never given me a single DAY of trouble, but I have been feeling lately that their technology is falling behind.

Companies like HostAfrica are offering cloud based servers for hosting whereas Domains.co.za is still offering normal VPS solutions. VPS is fine but I prefer cloud based servers.

I do NOT like xneelo/hetzner for A LOT of personal reasons so I stay away from them.

So I am considering moving to HostAfrica because of the cloud options but have never used them. Are they at all decent? How is their support??

Are there any other DECENT service providers other than HostAfrica, Domains.co.za and Xneelo that offer cloud servers for my hosting needs?

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Thanks Ruan - but it’s probably best for @Murmaider or Wayne to address the ops concerns in private?

@Wolvyreen - you’ll need to decide on which service offering best suits you, do you require VPS or Cloud Hosting for your business?

JohnStarr

Expert Member
Don't go cheap. That's all I can say. If 1 company offers VMs that are far cheaper than the next-best, but they use NTBackup to backup your VMs or backup to the same array, it's not worth it.

Telasera

Telasera representative
Company Rep
Hi Guys,

I have been running a hosting business since 2005 and for the past 7 years, I have been using Domains.co.za for a lot of my service needs. They have never given me a single DAY of trouble, but I have been feeling lately that their technology is falling behind.

Companies like HostAfrica are offering cloud based servers for hosting whereas Domains.co.za is still offering normal VPS solutions. VPS is fine but I prefer cloud based servers.

I do NOT like xneelo/hetzner for A LOT of personal reasons so I stay away from them.

So I am considering moving to HostAfrica because of the cloud options but have never used them. Are they at all decent? How is their support??

Are there any other DECENT service providers other than HostAfrica, Domains.co.za and Xneelo that offer cloud servers for my hosting needs?

The term "cloud" gets often misused IMOO especially by providers misrepresenting their services to sell VPS that can “scale” as cloud servers. This may fool the uninitiated, but this is no true cloud hosting.

Without considering the Hyperscalers like AWS and Azure there are very few local providers offering comprehensive “cloud servers” with the features that are offered by the larger Hyperscalers.

The companies that are offering these services locally are often using VMware with the pricing to match and with the market price sensitive these features do not come cheap.

I think you need to ask yourself what “cloud” features you require for your business case and then build your solution around that.

Sorry for the rant, we see this question often enough.

Wolvyreen

The term "cloud" gets often misused IMOO especially by providers misrepresenting their services to sell VPS that can “scale” as cloud servers. This may fool the uninitiated, but this is no true cloud hosting.

Without considering the Hyperscalers like AWS and Azure there are very few local providers offering comprehensive “cloud servers” with the features that are offered by the larger Hyperscalers.

The companies that are offering these services locally are often using VMware with the pricing to match and with the market price sensitive these features do not come cheap.

I think you need to ask yourself what “cloud” features you require for your business case and then build your solution around that.

Sorry for the rant, we see this question often enough.
I agree that it is misused but from what I can see, (things I expect from cloud) HostAfrica does have multiple locations of their cloud solution, scalability without service interruption which is meant to be inherent with cloud technology and supposedly reliability but that is too be seen.

That's my understanding of a cloud solution vs. VPS(VMWare)

I haven't actually placed my order yet because I'm very loyal to Domains.co.za and I trust them but you're making me doubt HostAfrica now

Are you saying that the cloud solution by HostAfrica is not actually cloud?

Last edited:

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Are you saying that the cloud solution by HostAfrica is not actually cloud?
I took a quick look at their site and docs yesterday and my initial suspicion is that they don’t provide cloud but are using the term for their VPS solutions.

I may be very wrong so excuse me if I am.

Perhaps pop them a mail and ask for specs

Last edited:

Dark Agent

Expert Member
I currently doing a lot of 'cloud' stuff. Amazon is amazing, Azure is amazing, Google cloud is amazing.
You require something in South Africa, avoid Amazon Servers in SA. Azure SA cloud is great. I will recommend Azure cloud. The rest is just vps boxes that are advertise as cloud.

I will highly recommend Amazon US/EU. I got Aurora database, Dynamo database, over 20 clients hosted on the platform. Past 9 months I only hear praises from them, they stuff always online, no email issues ever, things just working as they should. Cost is 50% more sadly but they happy. During Black Friday and December, there had 20x load and it scaled perfectly with 0 timeouts. Latency + App response time = 300ms.

Last edited: