Whisk(e)y Lovers thread(II)

BTTB

Executive Member
Best to get an idea of what type of Whisk(e)y he likes.
Take a picture of his drinks cabinet for us :p
I have never even been to his house. :)
He is diabetic if that helps, Doctor says if he must drink then it should be Whisky.

ands45

Expert Member
He is diabetic if that helps, Doctor says if he must drink then it should be Whisky.
Probably best to skip peated whiskies if you dont know what he likes. Maybe a Bains 15 year or Glen Scotia 15 year - both are R999

Pieter Loose Goose

I know very little about Whisky. Once sipped some Whisky as a teen from my fathers cabinet and it tasted foul and I never drank it since.
Anyway, guy I know is his birthday today and said he likes Whisky, I have a Makro near me, what can I get him, I'll spend up to R1 or R1.5K.
Suggestions for a 60th present.
This quite a very broad question as there are so many diffirent styles of whiskies and regions across the world with their own unique way and style. Based on that it is very difficult to help you out without knowing what your father is into.

I would think that everyone loves a good Scotch, so for me a save choice would always be a single malt from Speyside. These are friendly super easy drinking whiskies, and therefor normally not whiskies for the whiskey nerds as they are very simple whiskies. I know it is cliche, but Glenfiddich 12 is really good safe choice if you have no idea what to get someone.

ands45

Expert Member
Probably best to skip peated whiskies if you dont know what he likes. Maybe a Bains 15 year or Glen Scotia 15 year - both are R999

Couple of other possibilities

This is brilliant stuff

Haven't tried these but both are popular

Quad Pipe

I'm turning to you knowledgeable folks again for help. I'm looking for recommendations on Peat at the 1k-1.5k price point.

I'm currently eyeing the John Paul Peated just because I haven't had it before and it is cask strength.

Open to anything else, I usually just get any Ardbeg as that's what I know but always keen to broaden my horizons.

This is the Paul John to get. It's delicious and bottled at 55.5%

BTTB

Executive Member

Thanks, I'll look out for these 2

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator

As mentioned hard to make suggestions without a baseline.

Waterford has been a pretty safe bet on this thread as a recommendation for a surprise spoil.

Jitters

This is the Paul John to get. It's delicious and bottled at 55.5%

Ahh yes sorry just saw the 55% and linked it. Thanks for the correction

DramBuddy

I agree but I'd still go for other peated options :D. I must get around to trying more Amrut though.
I must admit that my suggestions was clouded by the mention of PJ. I agree, there are some exceptional peated expressions in that price range which other have mentioned already.

Sir Bob

I've had the Single Grain Scotch Whisky and didn't love it.
A mate has the peated sowill wait to taste it but don't haveuch hope for it.
I really enjoyed the glen Scotia double cask I got cheap from checkers awhile ago.

Rah_Skill

If anyone is hunting down the Ardbeg Scorch, Three Ships Pinotage or Kilkerran WiP 7 amongst many others

Site is a bit janky. A search will get what you need.

DramBuddy

If anyone is hunting down the Ardbeg Scorch, Three Ships Pinotage or Kilkerran WiP 7 amongst many others

Site is a bit janky. A search will get what you need.
I bought the Kilchoman Port Cask from him, delivered to me personally. We had a bit of a chat, nice guy.

Considering the auction prices, commission, shipping and customs, this is a good price: