Whisk(e)y Lovers thread(II)

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Thanks @dualmeister. I’ve gotten to appreciate many of the stuff you post around here. Continue to being a quality contributor to this Forum :)
A few years ago I was at the Whisky festival and after tasting all these amazing International Whisky's I tried the Bain's and it turned out to be the most memorable one of the night lol. Probably due to it being the only grain one.

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Thanks @dualmeister. I’ve gotten to appreciate many of the stuff you post around here. Continue to being a quality contributor to this Forum :)
If you want great "cheap" whisky

My absolute cheapest sipping whiskys are as follows

Bushmills 10 years, vat 69, naked grouse and bains.

This is a great sub forum to learn about really great whisky.

If you have access to wild about whisky or whisky brothers they have really great tastings too.

Try figure out what you like. It was a peated whisky that made me appreciate good whisky and dip my toes into it and I went whole blown down the Islay route ardbeg Corry being amongst my favorites if I get a chance I'll try snag a committee release or I try to try as many as I can at wild about whisky.

What is a fun way to acquire whisky is to buy a bottle per region for example

SA bains
Japan nikka
Ireland bushmills
Etc.

Its nice when you finish one to get another once from that region and try different styles. Just my 2c enjoy!

Snyper564

Honorary Master
A few years ago I was at the Whisky festival and after tasting all these amazing International Whisky's I tried the Bain's and it turned out to be the most memorable one of the night lol. Probably due to it being the only grain one.
Their travelers exclusive 15 year founders collection 52.5% is one of my favorites from them

Pieter Loose Goose

If you want great "cheap" whisky

My absolute cheapest sipping whiskys are as follows

Bushmills 10 years, vat 69, naked grouse and bains.

This is a great sub forum to learn about really great whisky.

If you have access to wild about whisky or whisky brothers they have really great tastings too.

Try figure out what you like. It was a peated whisky that made me appreciate good whisky and dip my toes into it and I went whole blown down the Islay route ardbeg Corry being amongst my favorites if I get a chance I'll try snag a committee release or I try to try as many as I can at wild about whisky.

What is a fun way to acquire whisky is to buy a bottle per region for example

SA bains
Japan nikka
Ireland bushmills
Etc.

Its nice when you finish one to get another once from that region and try different styles. Just my 2c enjoy!
If you're a bit into peat, a cheap, really really good addition to your cheap whisky collection would be Three Ships 5yo. It goes for around the R200 mark a bottle. I'm still looking for any peated blend under R300 that can compete with TSW 5yo. What is nice about TSW 5yo is that I can enjoy it neat, on the rocks or in a coctail any time of the day

Snyper564

Honorary Master
If you're a bit into peat, a cheap, really really good addition to your cheap whisky collection would be Three Ships 5yo. It goes for around the R200 mark a bottle. I'm still looking for any peated blend under R300 that can compete with TSW 5yo. What is nice about TSW 5yo is that I can enjoy it neat, on the rocks or in a coctail any time of the day
I'm not into any particular price range of whisky but good whisky. I don't turn my nose up if a whisky is cheap but tastes great.

You are correct about three ships and its a range I thoroughly enjoy them and try and snag many of the limited edition single cask releases from whisky Brothers too

My current three ships collection
20220418_071023.jpg

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
10 minutes to get ±half of that wall flogged it seems:
1650449452841.png

here's hoping Checkers gets the rest and eventually gives a decent discount on that R2850 ...

heartbroken

Expert Member
Still about half left it seems. Still deciding but I think I might skip this one, fingers crossed they end up somewhere at a discount.

Rah_Skill

Seems it will go on the JSD online store. Andy Watts mentioned after 8th May (whatever significance that holds).

Too big a groupie following for discounts these days.

kolaval

Executive Member
Finally tasted peated whiskey, ardbeg something.
Didn't what to do with that information, but the jameson/bains/ballentines all taste sweet now

Pieter Loose Goose

Finally tasted peated whiskey, ardbeg something.
Didn't what to do with that information, but the jameson/bains/ballentines all taste sweet now
Welcome to the world of PEAT. Once you go peat, you never go back. It takes balls to jump right into peat via Ardbeg or Laphroaig. Only downside about specially Islay peat is that is breaks the bank,

dualmeister

Honorary Master
Was that bought on the wall yesterday?

Super quick delivery if it was, wonder how long mine is going to take to arrive...
Yes.

The bottles were already with the couriers (not Aramex) before they went on sale. So their organization was 100x better than the last wall where Aramex took a week to even start delivering.