Whisk(e)y Lovers thread(II)

Quad Pipe

After spending a lovely week doing phuquall but relaxing in Mauritius, this is what I managed to bring back with me...

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 1.01.17 PM.jpeg

Bought the Chamarel at the very picturesque distillery where I did a tour and a tasting. Got to try core range as well as these guys. The peated cask was very interesting and I was tempted to procure a bottle until I saw the price of 5000 Rupees which is decent whisky money (circa R1800).

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 1.04.29 PM.jpeg

The 10 year old, also very good:

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 1.04.31 PM.jpeg

The core range. All of it rather tasty. The Gold (2nd from left) is 18 months oak barrel aged and is quite the stand out at the price (around R400/bottle).

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-29 at 1.07.02 PM.jpeg

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

who will be getting this years Ardbeg day limited edition?
I'd be willing to roll the dice on an Ardbeg day limited edition, I've yet to be truly disappointed with any Ardbeg I've tasted

if it's anything like the Scorch release though I expect I won't get my hands on a bottle anyway:
- not keen on directly importing myself, so stick to local merchants
- enter the WhiskyBrother lucky draw and never win
- while waiting, get told by the wise ones here that's for the plebs, just go buy it from Norman Goodfellows
- discover Norman Goodfellows has already run out of stock
- end up buying an Ardbeg tasting set from Wild About Whiskey and wallow in my 25ml sample of the limited release

axsis

I'd be willing to roll the dice on an Ardbeg day limited edition, I've yet to be truly disappointed with any Ardbeg I've tasted

if it's anything like the Scorch release though I expect I won't get my hands on a bottle anyway:
- while waiting, get told by the wise ones here that's for the plebs, just go buy it from Norman Goodfellows
- end up buying an Ardbeg tasting set from Wild About Whiskey and wallow in my 25ml sample of the limited release
You should have posted in this forum that you wanted a bottle :D. There were so many Scorch bottles around it was like Christmas compared to other things.

Just don't become a Springbank fan, then you will really know pain.

kolaval

Executive Member
That laphroaig 10 yo has a heavy turps/something aftertaste.
I dare say it's not the best

ands45

Expert Member
You should have posted in this forum that you wanted a bottle :D. There were so many Scorch bottles around it was like Christmas compared to other things.

For sure, and the prices, even at retail are becoming crazy

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
I've tried a number of Springbanks, Longrows & Kilkerrans, all pretty decent

though I'm happy to report my fave in the family happens to be the "cheapest": Kilkerran :cool:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
That laphroaig 10 yo has a heavy turps/something aftertaste.
I dare say it's not the best
back when I avoided peat whiskys we had some after work drinks at the hotel bar while on a business trip

I had plain old Chivas, another colleague Laphroaig 10, we swopped and compared, the description from the girls in our company was pretty much bang on:
- Chivas' aroma is that of perfume / florally
- Laphroaig 10's aroma is sweaty gym socks that's been lying in that gym bag for a few days

many years later and now loving peat whiskies I still cannot unsmell the sweaty gym sock aroma when I pick up any Laphroaig, no thanks, Ardbeg remains the king of peat with Lagavulin the prince

of course that's just my personal preference, the pecking order of the top three is crystal clear to me though

Jitters

I had the same experience. I went back home and randomly found a bottle in a shop at retail. It was probably my luckiest whisky buy ever.

Doubt I will find a bottle this year but I'm hopeful, or maybe not it's 125 pound retail so it's going to be +- R2000 locally and I'm not sure if I want to pay that much for a whisky I haven't even tasted.

The reviews I have read on the Ardbeg Ardcore community release have been mixed.

dualmeister

Honorary Master

Screw Ardbeg. Support Kilchoman :)

e.g. Loch Gorm (love)

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Screw Ardbeg. Support Kilchoman :)

e.g. Loch Gorm (love)
don't think I know much about Kilchoman at all, shall give it a try

quick glance at prices though and it seems at least three different core range Ardbegs come in under the price of the cheapest Kilchoman ... hmmm