Whiskey Lovers thread

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Sexy glasses. Is it completely unpeated?
I’d be lying if I said I remembered the taste but it’s defined un-peaty. Last bottle was about 3 years ago and my wife hasn’t stopped going on about it since. I recall it was excellent but taste wise it’s going to be a whole new experience again.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Bottleshop has some nice specials on some nice Scotch. I placed an office order this morning, and I was quite surprised.

Quad

My latest additions:

2017 edition (now I need to find the 2015 edition - I have 2014 and 2016)

Big Peat cape Town Edition:

A gift:

Quad

That Woodford Reserve Double Oak is on special at Makro for R499 in a box with a glass. Cracking value at the price which is normally around the R700/750 mark.

Luben

My latest additions:

2017 edition (now I need to find the 2015 edition - I have 2014 and 2016)

Big Peat cape Town Edition:

A gift:
That WhiskyBrother Highland Park is absolutely awesome with a whopping ABV. I wasn't impressed by the Four Oak though.

I am learning about whiskey, and unfortunately my first whiskey was the expensive stuff (Glenfiddich 18yr), so the cheap stuff just doesn't do it.

Where is a good place to start?

As Naks said above Monkey Shoulder I have heard is good.

Praeses

Expert Member
I am learning about whiskey, and unfortunately my first whiskey was the expensive stuff (Glenfiddich 18yr), so the cheap stuff just doesn't do it.

I actually like the 15yr Glenfiddich more than the 18yr.

If you want an affordable and absolutely awesome single malt whisky (IMO) try a 10 yr Glenmorangie. I love that stuff and it's normally around R420 for 750mL.

Toxxyc

Expert Member

Means nothing. Lots of offerings can be had for cheaper. Glenlivet 12YO, for one. Glenmorangie Lastanta as well.

KantSnyer

What budget you looking at here and what kind of flavour profile, peaty, sweet, balanced etc. ?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

I think the most important place to start is to familiarise yourself with the difference between Whisky and Whiskey....