Whiskey Lovers thread

HunterNW

Expert Member
Thank god for that Ardbeg...rest is total schite.
AROMA
A burst of intense smoky fruit escapes into the atmosphere – peat infused with zesty lemon and lime, wrapped in waxy dark chocolate.

Bold menthol and black pepper slice through the sweet smoke followed by tarry ropes and graphite. As you dip your nose in further, savour the aroma of smoked fish and crispy bacon alongside green bell peppers, baked pineapple and pear juice.

Add water and breathe in the vortex of aromas rising from the glass. An oceanic minerality brings a breath of cool, briny seaspray on chalky cliffs. Waxed lemon and lime follows with coal tar soap, beeswax and herby pine woodlands. Toasted vanilla and sizzling cinnamon simmer in the background with warm hazelnut and almond toffee.

TASTE
An explosion of crackling peat sets off millions of flavour explosions on the tongue: peat effervesces with tangy lemon and lime juice, black pepper pops with sizzling cinnamon-spiced toffee. This is followed by a wave of brine infused with smooth buttermilk, ripe bananas and currants. Smoke gradually wells up on the palate bringing a mouthful of warm creamy cappuccino and toasted marshmallows. As the taste lengthens and deepens, dry espresso, liquorice root and tarry smoke develop coating the palate with chewy peat oils

FCK ME..... sounds like an orgasm.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
AROMA
A burst of intense smoky fruit escapes into the atmosphere – peat infused with zesty lemon and lime, wrapped in waxy dark chocolate.

Bold menthol and black pepper slice through the sweet smoke followed by tarry ropes and graphite. As you dip your nose in further, savour the aroma of smoked fish and crispy bacon alongside green bell peppers, baked pineapple and pear juice.

Add water and breathe in the vortex of aromas rising from the glass. An oceanic minerality brings a breath of cool, briny seaspray on chalky cliffs. Waxed lemon and lime follows with coal tar soap, beeswax and herby pine woodlands. Toasted vanilla and sizzling cinnamon simmer in the background with warm hazelnut and almond toffee.

TASTE
An explosion of crackling peat sets off millions of flavour explosions on the tongue: peat effervesces with tangy lemon and lime juice, black pepper pops with sizzling cinnamon-spiced toffee. This is followed by a wave of brine infused with smooth buttermilk, ripe bananas and currants. Smoke gradually wells up on the palate bringing a mouthful of warm creamy cappuccino and toasted marshmallows. As the taste lengthens and deepens, dry espresso, liquorice root and tarry smoke develop coating the palate with chewy peat oils

FCK ME..... sounds like an orgasm.
Which Ardbeg are those notes from? There are many out there.

Quad

Ardbeg 10yo and An Oa are probably two of my favourite whiskies. At last count, I had 6.5 liters of the stuff in my whisky cabinet (6 sealed bottles from duty free and one half drunk liter bottle -edit: of the 10yo, and one open bottle of An Oa). These are closely followed by Port Charlotte and Laphroaig 10yo. Yes, I'm a big peathead.

Speaking of Big Peat, I'm currently working my way through a 2014 edition of Big Peat Christmas from Douglas Laing - bottled at cask strength (~55%) and non chill filtered - absolutely brilliant stuff. Big Peat is Douglas Laing's Islay blend and they bring out an annual Christmas edition. As a matter of interest, the 2016 Xmas edition had whisky from every active Islay distillery as well as whisky from Port Ellen. Very difficult to find these days. Plenty 2017 editions doing the rounds and I see 2018 has just been released which meas SA should be getting soon.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I've never been the biggest peat fan. Years ago got a taste of Ardbeg 10YO and loved it, but some peated whiskies since then (can't remember the names) kinda put me off. It put me off so far, in fact, that I shot in the complete opposite direction and focused my attention on the Speyside whiskies - light and floral.

The Ardbeg An Oa ruined that again. I'm going to be hunting complex peat for the new while, I believe.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I've never been the biggest peat fan. Years ago got a taste of Ardbeg 10YO and loved it, but some peated whiskies since then (can't remember the names) kinda put me off. It put me off so far, in fact, that I shot in the complete opposite direction and focused my attention on the Speyside whiskies - light and floral.

The Ardbeg An Oa ruined that again. I'm going to be hunting complex peat for the new while, I believe.
Skip the An Oa and grab the Uigeadail.

I'm also a massive peat head so Laphroig always top 3 on my list.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Skip the An Oa and grab the Uigeadail.
I was always under the impression its a much more expensive whisky. I read up now and it seems to not be the case. I'm a fan of sweeter whiskies (as opposed to drier ones), so the An Oa struck home. How's the Uigaedail compare in terms of sweetness? The tasting notes mention a little, but it's apparently more smokey, seem about correct?

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I was always under the impression its a much more expensive whisky. I read up now and it seems to not be the case. I'm a fan of sweeter whiskies (as opposed to drier ones), so the An Oa struck home. How's the Uigaedail compare in terms of sweetness? The tasting notes mention a little, but it's apparently more smokey, seem about correct?
Much better balance between sweet and smokey. An Oa is too sweet.

Quad

I remember the days you could only get Ardbeg 10 in SA. I used to bring in Corryvrecken and Uigedal from the UK and also used to beg my friends to bring me back when they went so squirreled quite a few bottles away over time.

Anyway, I remember chatting to one of the guys at Wild About Whisky why we don't get the Ardbeg range in SA at the time except for 10yo and he told me to call the local distributor directly and gave me his number. I called and we chatted for a while with the explanation being that the local market is not big enough and that not even 10yo was doing well. I explained to this guy the number of Ardbeg fans just in my whisky circle. This was around about 2012 when Ardbeg Galileo was released as the special edition and if you were in SA you were getting fukkall (that stuff sold out globally in about 3 days anyway)*.

Funny how things have progressed and now we get the full range as well as the annual editions.

*I hunted down a bottle of Galileo from 2012 and finally got my hands on a bottle in March 2017.

Quad

Interesting. That's personal taste though. What's your take on the Glenmorangie Lasanta?
I find that An Oa is a perfect balance between smoke and sweet for me. The Glenmo is a 'sherried' sweetness whereas I don't get that in the Ardbeg and AFAIK both have spent time in PX casks. An Oa for me!

Quad

It's funny how your palate changes as you get older. I used to love heavily peated whisky with long dry finishes that would leave you gasping for water. Now, while I'm still a Peathead, I'm loving the sweeter drams.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
I think it also depends on the season and temperature. For me, I liked the An Oa more than I liked the Lasanta last night. In winter times though, when it's cold out, the Lasanta is a good warming up dram. What fun would whiskies be if all tasted and liked the same stuff, ey?

KantSnyer

I think it also depends on the season and temperature. For me, I liked the An Oa more than I liked the Lasanta last night. In winter times though, when it's cold out, the Lasanta is a good warming up dram. What fun would whiskies be if all tasted and liked the same stuff, ey?
Same here, variety is the spice of life.

I haven't been on my whisky journey that long but right now these 3 are a permanent fixture in the collection :
IMG-4075.JPG

Quad

I attended an Andy Watts Masterclass on the single malts from JSD and he says that how you taste a whisky will be influenced by the factors you mention including things like the mood you're in, the company you're with and even what you had to eat earlier during the day... I agree with him.

Anyway, I got me one of these a while ago from WhiskyBrother and it is lovely. I go to it every now and then when I feel like something really sweet. It's on WhiskyBrother's top 5 sellers list every single month.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Seeing that glass - the only glass I have is a Glenfiddich nosing glass I got in a gift pack. I'm now hunting for more of those Glencairn snifters for my personal collection as well. Just want a few.

KantSnyer

Seeing that glass - the only glass I have is a Glenfiddich nosing glass I got in a gift pack. I'm now hunting for more of those Glencairn snifters for my personal collection as well. Just want a few.
Just got 2 with a Laphroaig gift pack but they don't have a base. If you find a place that sells them please share also hunting them down.