Whiskey Lovers thread

Quad

What I did:

1. Put one teaspoon (5ml) of light brown sugar into a tumbler (you can use 1t of sugar or a sugar cube - same thing and apparently brown sugar works well).

2. Douse the sugar with a few dashes of bitters (4-5 dashes) and add a few drops of water. Muddle ingredients together.

3. Add 60ml bourbon (or whisky of choice) and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

4. Add large ice cubes (I used a big ice ball) and stir until condensation appears on outside of glass meaning drink is sufficiently chilled. Add an orange slice or a twist of rind or even a dehydrated orange wheel for garnish if you have. I didn't do this.

5. Drink.

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I've also only very recently gotten into making old fashioneds. Really enjoying it. Gonna be great as summer starts ramping up. Really good with maple syrup.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I've also only very recently gotten into making old fashioneds. Really enjoying it. Gonna be great as summer starts ramping up. Really good with maple syrup.
Going to make one right now...have all the ingredients.

Will Orange Bitters work or be too much?

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
That Swedish whisky is nice.

Four oak. Keen to try it but reviews suggest it's underwhelming?

What's the Robert something?

Luben

That Swedish whisky is nice.

Four oak. Keen to try it but reviews suggest it's underwhelming?

What's the Robert something?
The Macmyra Ek is also excellent, non-peated versus the peated Rok.

Rather skip on the Four Oak, was a total waste of my duty-free allowance. It's like someone added some brickettes into the mix for flavour, a bit of a bitter aftertaste.

Robert Burns from Arran. I was quite surprised by this whisky, sub-R500 release from Arran. Very easy drinking, more of the bourbon cask flavours coming out but the Sherry cask influence is there as well. It's available at Checkers.

https://www.arranwhisky.com/shop-whiskies/single-malts/10-the-robert-burns-single-malt

kolaval

Expert Member
So last night didn't go down to well.
Got in bed @ 3AM. Up at 5AM cause of my effing biological clock. Have not slept again yet.
Wife is on mute.
Hung over like hell and I think the drink messed up my esophagus.
Whiskey is from the devil and this thread sucks.
I'll never drink again...

Luben

My preference with regards to the Islay whiskies is that I want something more in addition to the typical regional notes(sweet and peat). Although 4 different barrels were used none of them come through in a dominant way, maybe I was looking for more due to maturation process. Anyway, for the price there's so much more to be had from the duty free shelf, like the Amrut fusion. Oh well, I drown my disappointment in the Glenmorangie 19 that I also managed to get as well

SlowInternet

Executive Member
The SO can't stand whisky at all but me and the 2 sons love it. She says it's poison. Last night I decided to give the old fashioned a go and made one for her as well. She didn't know what was in the drink. Her reaction was "Hmmmm this tastes much better than the whisky you drink" :ROFL: Tonight she asked me to make her another Old fashioned cocktail. Sometimes it takes long but people eventually realize that whisky is good. ;)

Quad

My preference with regards to the Islay whiskies is that I want something more in addition to the typical regional notes(sweet and peat). Although 4 different barrels were used none of them come through in a dominant way, maybe I was looking for more due to maturation process. Anyway, for the price there's so much more to be had from the duty free shelf, like the Amrut fusion. Oh well, I drown my disappointment in the Glenmorangie 19 that I also managed to get as well
I absolutely love the Four Oak. I've got 4 bottles at home.