Whites still earning three times more than blacks: Stats SA

wingnut771

Executive Member
Mhhm, did everything work for everyone or just the elite? The majority of the country had it much worse than they do now.

Did they not wreck the economy? Would it have been sustainable for them to continue with that system beyond 94?

If they ended the system much earlier, we would not have ended up in the mess we are today. Jan Smuts was certainly no hero but if he was in power over the NP, we may not have been in this mess.
sanctions wrecked the economy. i remember prime interest rate being 25%.

i mean, no potholes, robots working, no power cuts, safe (railway police) and efficient train service, working state hospitals, us dollar was R2.50 in 1990, etc etc.

i agree, the np handled the changeover very badly. they should have corrected all the wrongs like land redistribution before handing power over to a liberation party with no experience in running a country.

newjourno

Expert Member
just general grape vine stuff.
That's a right-wing myth created which is not true. You may get an odd case here and there of a black person saying that Apartheid was better but that's even rare than a white person holding favorable views of the EFF.

Ryansr

Expert Member
Horrendous! Just, horrendous!

Wait, did I say horrendous already? Even with the tenderpreneurs? :ROFL:

modern10

Expert Member
well, to argue the point, with the np everything worked and they weren't wrecking the country's economy, why shouldn't they vote for them. a lot of black africans say life was better for them during apartheid which just goes to show how poorly the anc have governed up to now. so you can't really compare the two parties.
Are we just going to make up things. What black person has said that?

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
Well lets see
“Life was better under apartheid”, Phiwe* said to me.
Former Cosatu secretary-general Zwelinzima Vavi said of unemployment levels in 2007, "Many of the millions who are unemployed, or whose jobs have been casualised, are even worse off than under apartheid. Around 20-million of our people are still mired in poverty. We still face many challenges and the task of transformation is far from complete."

South Africans say life was better before ANC took over: poll
In a community of shacks on a hillside near Johannesburg, a man complained to me:
"We didn't like apartheid, but some things were better under apartheid than they are now."
In a community of shacks on a hillside near Durban, a man complained to me:
"Life here under apartheid was bad, but now it is more bad."
I felt slightly unsettled hearing this.

I am sure you can do your own digging .....

/adds OP to ignore list.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
I brought up the comparison more to illustrate the double-standards among some people here.

If you apply the same arguments they make regarding why people vote for the ANC to why people voted for the NP, it seems to hit home.
I'd argue it's not the same. The NP was good to its voter base, and it produced most of the infrastructure that modernized South Africa. They build a country that stood at the pinnacle of Africa.

The ANC has not been good to its voters, with every SOE's failing, unprecedented levels of unemployment and infrastructure falling apart, they are the worst parts of the NP with none of its benefits.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
I'd like to hear your response after you've been shown the distortion of your reality. It wouldn't surprise me if by numbers there are more Africans living in poverty now than during apartheid.

The ANC does very little of what they say. One master was exchanged for another, less competent master.

rustypup

Expert Member
R240Bn

The budget earmarked R240Bn for "social security". In a country of 57 million people, how in the ever-loving fark do you blow R240Bn and still have *more* destitute people at the end of the year?

Seriously. WTF is this shiat and how does anyone, with a brain, defend it.

Must be whitey voodoo....

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Well lets see

I am sure you can do your own digging .....

/adds OP to ignore list.
I'd like to hear your response after you've been shown the distortion of your reality. It wouldn't surprise me if by numbers there are more Africans living in poverty now than during apartheid.

The ANC does very little of what they say. One master was exchanged for another, less competent master.
Ouch...another example of facts trumping emotions.

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
Mhhm, did everything work for everyone or just the elite? The majority of the country had it much worse than they do now.

Did they not wreck the economy? Would it have been sustainable for them to continue with that system beyond 94?

If they ended the system much earlier, we would not have ended up in the mess we are today. Jan Smuts was certainly no hero but if he was in power over the NP, we may not have been in this mess.
If Apartheid ended earlier we would have been in our current mess earlier. Proof for this is the rest of Africa. Fact is after liberation comes destruction.

The fixation with the NP is quite interesting. Who alive could have voted NP. The last vote I can recall was the so called Yes/No vote which was back in 1992. That vote was a yes vote for the ANC. Now if that same referendum were to be done again, knowing what we now know the result might be different. The right thing was done but was it the right thing?

diesel

Expert Member
This is like sorting out the top quality nuts from the rest , the small pack of top quality will sell for a higher price than the 50kg bulk bag of lower grade. Not the nuts fault or the person selling it, its just that the top quality nut has more to offer in terms of consistency, taste and quality.
Thing is anybody can be a top quality nut, all you need is a little bit of care and effort during the planting and growing stages, if you groom and take care of your tree it will produce top quality nuts.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
So has the OP actually contributed to this thread beyond his drop and run initial post?