Who cut voice prices and who didn't?

Beri

Expert Member
Shame vodacom is loosing money......... yea right. and pigs fly. But do not worry the data prices will make up for the loss

warwickw

Expert Member
"the 99c on-net rate which already incorporated the change of termination rates"

How does a 99c on-net rate incorporate a off net interconnect decrease ? This doesn't make sense Cell C. Also your 99c on-net promotion as per your own website states it only runs until the 31st March 2012 what happens after that. Also the 99c on-net only applies to prepaid and control chat, what about post paid contract users zero savings for them..

Vodacom's Richard Boorman says that they loose money currently because of lower interconnect rates, but yet he also says “No money is created or destroyed in this process and there is no net charge to the consumer, so reducing mobile termination rates doesn’t create a net saving that can be passed on to the customer,” sure if no money is created or destroyed that means there is no loss. What's he talking about then about losing money?

sin_x

"the 99c on-net rate which already incorporated the change of termination rates"

How does a 99c on-net rate incorporate a off net interconnect decrease ? This doesn't make sense Cell C. Also your 99c on-net promotion as per your own website states it only runs until the 31st March 2012 what happens after that. Also the 99c on-net only applies to prepaid and control chat, what about post paid contract users zero savings for them..
Agreed!
On-Net has nothing to do with interconnect rates, as it is On-Net
:confused:

BLIXEMPIE

Honorary Master
Virgin Mobile already offers the lowest call rates and best value deals in the market. Consequently we do not have immediate plans to drop our rates further at this time
You also already offer the worst service of any provider in this country. Moving from Virgin was the best decision I ever made.

krycor

Honorary Master
I lmao at the Vodacom response. That dude needs to explain why the stock alerts mention it when it makes no changes to their accounts :p

Ai.. another fail for DoC + ICASA.. they need to seriously grow some balls and teeth..

cyberbob1979

Expert Member
Okay - so interconnect rates dont mean a thing... ICASA doesn't mean a thing, DVT standard doesnt mean a thing, set top boxes doesn't mean a thing, a DoC Minister doesn't mean a thing... but Profit is everything... I see what they did there

greg123

Actually quite funny!

"Cell C has launched the 99c on-net rate which already incorporated the change of termination rates."

Hahaha - Is this guy serious!
On-Net rate ... ie nothing to do with interconnect rate drop!
And less than 5% of mobile users are on Cell-C anyway... so 95% chance you will be paying a lot more than the 99c!!

entrepr

Expert Member
there is no net charge to the consumer, so reducing mobile termination rates doesn’t create a net saving that can be passed on to the customer
If I make a mobile call from Vodacom to a Cell C customer, and Vodacom is paying Cell C 27.4c/minute less per minute for my call from today(vat included), surely I as the customer should be charged 27.4.4c/minute less for the call as well?

i.e I should be paying 15% less on my current package. That's a lot of saving to not be passing on!

Unless of course there is collusive behaviour between the operators - not overt collusion but rather a tacit co-conspiracy, or 'understanding' not to meddle with pricing.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Where is the DoC & Icasa's voices in all this? We consumers are still being ripped off by these greedy operators.

joy_Energiser

"Cell C has launched the 99c on-net rate which already incorporated the change of termination rates."

Hahaha - Is this guy serious!
On-Net rate ... ie nothing to do with interconnect rate drop!
And less than 5% of mobile users are on Cell-C anyway... so 95% chance you will be paying a lot more than the 99c!!
Lol, how does it feel to thumbsuck a statistic and make a fool of yourself ? 5% Bwahahah! Sure thing :wtf:

On topic, It is indeed very sad that these greedy Cell operators won't budge just a little to help us.I mean there are people living in absolute poverty living on R20 a day for food, and they must pay the ridiculous amounts it costs per minute to make a phone call.

But hell Vodacom, don't let your 12-13 billion rand a year profit stop you from raping the South African populace (see now THAT is a proper statistic Greg, get a clue please ;)

Last edited:

Strobemeister

Expert Member
Really disappointing news. Have you ever heard so much rubbish from our telecoms companies? I remember this was a big focus on this forum at the time. Quite a lot of effort and at the end, nothing to show for it. I wonder if there will be a comment from our regulator or DOC?
Why did they even bother? The shafting continues. Pass the vaseline, please.

Bern

Expert Member
If I make a mobile call from Vodacom to a Cell C customer, and Vodacom is paying Cell C 27.4c/minute less per minute for my call from today(vat included), surely I as the customer should be charged 27.4.4c/minute less for the call as well?

i.e I should be paying 15% less on my current package. That's a lot of saving to not be passing on!

Unless of course there is collusive behaviour between the operators - not overt collusion but rather a tacit co-conspiracy, or 'understanding' not to meddle with pricing.
I am also trying to wrap my head around that "no net profit difference to pass on". Ridiculous. I don't care if you make less money on people calling me, I care about how much it costs for me to call out. If you are paying less for that I expect to pay less. Colluding bastards.