Who else thinks Windows 8 will be skipped just like Vista?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
And instead upgrade straight to Windows 10 because they decided to make things the (conventional) Windows ways again.

bekdik

Honorary Master
Windows 8 is crucial for the phone an tablet consoles, so it will not be skipped.

Whether it will have a better keyboard-mouse interface than that in the beta is more to the point.

NomNom

Executive Member
It would be the natural way of things for Microsoft if Windows 8 was a disappointment like Vista. One thing I liked about Vista though was that built in mini photo enhancer, I wish Windows 7 kept that :(

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
they decided to make things the (conventional) Windows ways again.
They won't go back. Not a chance. Allow me to demonstrate with the help of my crystal ball:

The windows 8 interface is aimed at touch screens, which desktops don't have. So everyone is stressing about how awkward it is to use with a mouse & the tile things are too big & the gestures don't suit the interface etc. Lots of kicking & screaming & tantrums. If you connect the dots a bit though, you'll see that Microsoft also has the kinect which is kinda like a touchscreen but less accurate. And suddenly the method in their madness becomes visible. ;)

None of this interests corporate IT departments though, so I reckon businesses will skip it, but individuals won't.

What about 9?
He needed the other hand to type. :p

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Win8 looks like an abortion of twin sons of different fathers, dropped into the toilet bowl. Please flush.

unskinnybob

Expert Member
Good light OS. If you dont have a touch screen or don't like Metro, just disable it.

370z

^Exactly. Very smooth and slick. Plus the booting times are blisteringly quick for me, that's enough to make me switch

Tacet

Expert Member
^Exactly. Very smooth and slick. Plus the booting times are blisteringly quick for me, that's enough to make me switch

+1 on the booting time! It works very well on my netbook, a cheapie BenQ Joybook Lite. I almost never see Metro - just after I've booted. The "Metro problem" is solved by pressing Win-D, which takes you to your desktop.

Ampha

The booting times are the only reason I am switching, not too fussed with the looks

mike156

Does the 10-20 seconds that it boots quicker really make such a difference in your life?

I've never understood people's obsession with boot times, it's an event that (usually) only happens once a day.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
I can see Win 8 being used extensively in the mobile / touchscreen arena, but for normal desktop.... me thinks not. Not with its current design (which is really pointed at touchscreen). The GUI would need to be different for desktop versions...

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
There will be a relatively large initial inertia to Windows 8... but I've been using it since the beta was released and when I'm at work I keep looking for little things that Windows 8 has introduced and not finding them in Windows 7...

Its a damn good OS, and the interface is bloody good as well once you understand it.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Originally posted by Hypertraxx

MS-DOS .... not sure, not enough experience ....
Windows 1.0 GOOD
Windows 2.0 ***
Windows 2.03 GOOD
Windows 3.0 ***
Windows 3.1 GOOD
Windows NT ***
Windows 95 GOOD
Windows 98 ***
Windows 98² GOOD
Windows 2000 ***
Windows xp GOOD
Windows vista ***
Windows 7 GOOD
Windows 8 ....... See what i mean.

*This is more ment as a joke, not all of it is true.

To MS
We will NEVER use a touchscreen, so stop mixing OS'es.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/238-73-windows-consumer-preview-disable-metro

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I disagree with that little "summary".. here is a more accurate one.

MS-DOS GOOD for what it was
Windows 1.0 GOOD for what it was
Windows 2.0 GOOD for what it was
Windows 2.03 GOOD for what it was
Windows 3.0 GOOD for what it was
Windows 3.1 GOOD for what it was
Windows NT Bloody brilliant
Windows 95 GOOD
Windows 98 Barely passable
Windows 98² GOOD
Windows ME COMPLETE POS
Windows 2000 Bloody Brilliant
Windows xp GOOD
Windows vista Good
Windows 7 BLoody Brillaint
Windows 8 Beta has been bloody good so far.