Who for president of SA?

marco

Expert Member
Evert layer of the ANC is corrupt to the core. If there is a single person in the ANC who isn't corrupt, I guarantee you he'll get murdered shortly after getting sworn in.

/thread
Oh dear. A paranoid poster who most probably has a very large supply of bully beef and brandy and coke for the apocalypse.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Trevor Manuel or Pravin Gordhan. My 2 picks. Never happen as they are not Black. Sies.
Nothing to do with colour. It's a power game and without support from branches and lobby groups, chances of leading the ANC are very slim. Pravin and Trevor don't have much going for them except their reputations.

Dude with the constitution quotes must be trolling.

Thuli Madonsela though the job would probably kill her or get her killed. Kinda like Thabo Mbeki looked like the life was being drained out of him by being president.
No, not trolling. Just pointing out the constitution clearly permits Trevor Manuel or Pravin Gordhan to be President. However some years ago Manuel said that he recognised that the ANC would not give him the job as he is the wrong colour. That is unconstitutional as per the extracts above.

Evert layer of the ANC is corrupt to the core. If there is a single person in the ANC who isn't corrupt, I guarantee you he'll get murdered shortly after getting sworn in.

/thread
I don't fully agree. Yes, there are far too many ANC that are corrupt. But if you think it is confined to the ANC, you are wrong. I have come across it in non politicals, of all colours: it cost me my job here. I have also met ANC people I trust. There were quite a few 'old school' people around who were straight. But they tended to be in the background.
Some of the (Zuma appointed!) judiciary have been excellent, and fearless. Truli Madonsela (again Zuma appointed) was the same. I do not say they were perfect, but they were to be admired by all - except crooks. The same goes for Pravin Gordhan and Trevor Manuel. Makosi Khoza was a bright spot.
Possibly not enough, but much better than nothing.
SARS has gone from being well regarded to despised in a few years. It will take years to undo it: even in the last few months able people have left, and that since Ramaphosa. Not that I blame him: the rot is too deep. Helen Zille told her new DA mayoral colleagues much the same, and she had good cause to know. Corruption is a cancer in the body politic, and you must have it out. It will not come without cost, but if you want a decent homeland for your children, you have to pay the price.
Possible remedies could involve the electorate voting for named individuals, although in the UK the power brokers control the selection committees, thus reducing the choice. Direct election of the President could help, but then look at Trump (although it has to be said that the US electoral college was weighted from the outset by the New England old guard before their Civil War). The men of power are always on the attack, and the price of any semblance of freedom is eternal vigilance.
I see your Labour laws as an obstacle. They are valuable in safe guarding the potentially oppressed (and big business is no more upright than so many politicians all too often), but civil/public servants exploit the procedures unendingly: Moyane is the latest. There has to be a way round it. It is nice for life to be fair, but it seems to be a bit weighted against the tax payer at present.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
No, not trolling. Just pointing out the constitution clearly permits Trevor Manuel or Pravin Gordhan to be President. However some years ago Manuel said that he recognised that the ANC would not give him the job as he is the wrong colour. That is unconstitutional as per the extracts above.
I find this a little hard to believe. Publicly uttering such words would've landed him in a bit of a mess with the party chiefs. He would've been called out for "bringing the party into disrepute".

I find this a little hard to believe. Publicly uttering such words would've landed him in a bit of a mess with the party chiefs. He would've been called out for "bringing the party into disrepute".
I was a bit surprised to read it myself at the time. My best guess is it would have been around 2006 to 2008, and I would have read it in the Sunday Times or M&G. I have done a quick google search and not found it. Manuel has had run ins with the ANC (Manyi in particular) over racism within the ANC, but got little support from the ANC. At 62ish he is politically pretty inactive, which seems a gross waste of talent to me.

beans100

Executive Member
Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, 1996 - Preamble
We, the people of South Africa,
Recognise the injustices of our past;
Honour those who suffered for justice and freedom in our land;
Respect those who have worked to build and develop our country; and
Believe that South Africa belongs to all who live in it, united in our diversity.
We therefore, through our freely elected representatives, adopt this Constitution as the supreme law of the Republic so as to
  • Heal the divisions of the past and establish a society based on democratic values, social justice and fundamental human rights;
  • Lay the foundations for a democratic and open society in which government is based on the will of the people and every citizen is equally protected by law;
  • Improve the quality of life of all citizens and free the potential of each person; and
  • Build a united and democratic South Africa able to take its rightful place as a sovereign state in the family of nations.
May God protect our people.
Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika. Morena boloka setjhaba sa heso.
God seën Suid-Afrika. God bless South Africa.
Mudzimu fhatutshedza Afurika. Hosi katekisa Afrika.

You might as well believe in fairy tales and bible stories, too.

My vote goes to Trevor....
Noah

He'll make a knob of himself on an international stage.
There is precedent for that......................................;). I remember at some international meeting or other Zuma was sitting at the corner of a table, all alone, whilst everyone else ignored him completely. I nearly felt sorry for him. Than my lady Prime Minister went over to him....... But then she has had the same from some of our oh - so - gallant - and - chivalrous EU leaders.

My earlier reference to reading about Manuel in, inter alia, the Sunday Times, was written before I had bought today's ST with its apology and return of prizes etc. Oops!!!

Last edited:
There is precedent for that......................................;). I remember at some international meeting or other Zuma was sitting at the corner of a table, all alone, whilst everyone else ignored him completely. I nearly felt sorry for him. Than my lady Prime Minister went over to him....... But then she has had the same from some of our oh - so - gallant - and - chivalrous EU leaders.

My earlier reference to reading about Manuel in, inter alia, the Sunday Times, was written before I had bought today's ST with its apology and return of prizes etc. Oops!!!
Donald Trump makes a complete knob of himself every time he opens his mouth, so yeah there's precedent.

The dude in the cowboy hat though? I don't think he has what it takes, to be honest.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Ideally you want someone that is as far removed from the SACP so that it will cause tension and potentially break up the tripartheid alliance. (Guess they are then each "apart" - heid). Then they will either join the EFF or go it alone thereby weakening the ANC.