Who has a 27" iMAC? How do you rate it?

Ismail_ct

I'm thinking of getting a 27" quad core iMAC. If you have 1 can you tell me if they're as good as every1 says?

On another note, has anybody done any business with a company in Durban called medicimage? Apparently they sell Apple products and I'm just wondering if they're legit.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I have the 27" iMac. Best machine I have ever owned, hands down.
I have never heard of medicimage though. Although to be fair, I have never heard of any Durban companies :)

Synthetic_Darkness

27" iMac is pretty good. You dont quite realize how big it really is, until its set up. Also the screen is crystal crystal clear.
Sorry havent heard of them neither, only company in DBN I know of is MSC and Zacks(Restaurant)

Ismail_ct

Woohoo! Can't wait to burn my retinas on that 27" screen. What do you guys do? Graphic design, video editing?

Reason I enquired about medicimage is that they selling a quad core 27" for R8000. How can that be for real??

purejimcn

Woohoo! Can't wait to burn my retinas on that 27" screen. What do you guys do? Graphic design, video editing?

Reason I enquired about medicimage is that they selling a quad core 27" for R8000. How can that be for real??
easy if its stolen ;)

JStrike

Honorary Master

With my home computer(The iMac)? Web, email, music, photo's, etc :)

JStrike

Honorary Master

The 27" iMac for R8000? Its stolen :)

Ismail_ct

Does the 27" get hot? I've heard the back gets quite warm. Even so, is that a problem? The missing num pad on the keyboard seems like it could get annoying.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I have never missed the number keyboard. Good riddence I say.
As for it getting hot, I have never checked. It is a great looking machine, but why would someone be stroking the back??? :)

Rishalin

Dude no point in buying the Core2 Duo 27' iMac.. although it is an awesome machine, rather spend extra and get the new ones with the i3/i5/i7 Sandy bridge processors etc..

Jacodb

Does the 27" get hot? I've heard the back gets quite warm. Even so, is that a problem? The missing num pad on the keyboard seems like it could get annoying.
I am a graphic designer and got the 27" in December. Wow! What a machine. It is blazingly fast and as some in this thread said you just don't realise how big the screen is until you're working on it. I did miss the lack of numerical keys on the keyboard very badly, but I got rather used to the smaller keyboard and wouldn't trade it for a larger one anymore.

As for heat. It gets very hot. Reached over to the back of the computer the other day and the metal surface touched the inside of my upper arm (you know the soft part) - wasn't pleasent. I know have a fan on my desk behind the computer to help cool it down and it really works well.

My advice. If you can afford the 27", buy it! Don't even look at another machine.

adsl3g

Expert Member
Just got the Quad core 27inch on Tuesday - its a brilliant machine... As for hot - just felt the back and top and its pleasantly warm - and its been on all day today.

Using my old iMac's corded keyboard with the num pad at this stage.

Last edited:

adsl3g

Expert Member
Dude no point in buying the Core2 Duo 27' iMac.. although it is an awesome machine, rather spend extra and get the new ones with the i3/i5/i7 Sandy bridge processors etc..
Who was talking about the Core 2 Duo 27 inch - the op was talking about the Quad Core.

phiber

Expert Member
I am a graphic designer and got the 27" in December. Wow! What a machine. It is blazingly fast and as some in this thread said you just don't realise how big the screen is until you're working on it. I did miss the lack of numerical keys on the keyboard very badly, but I got rather used to the smaller keyboard and wouldn't trade it for a larger one anymore.

As for heat. It gets very hot. Reached over to the back of the computer the other day and the metal surface touched the inside of my upper arm (you know the soft part) - wasn't pleasent. I know have a fan on my desk behind the computer to help cool it down and it really works well.

My advice. If you can afford the 27", buy it! Don't even look at another machine.
Can confirm, my one at work burns up like mad. Just posted this in another thread, the 27" is a really big screen, it actually too big for a small desk. I am prob going to get a 21.5" soon, hopefully this weekend.

OomD

I have had my 27" since late 2009 and I am still very very impressed. Awesome graphics, blazingly fast, and quiet. You never realize how quiet until your son turns his PC on in the same room, suddenly your computer room sounds like an airport! Seriously though, it's simply awesome.

On a side note, thinking of swapping for MB pro as I lately have a need to be more mobile. Sorry don't want to hijack thread, thought I'd mention it if anyone interested :)

phiber

Expert Member
I have had my 27" since late 2009 and I am still very very impressed. Awesome graphics, blazingly fast, and quiet. You never realize how quiet until your son turns his PC on in the same room, suddenly your computer room sounds like an airport! Seriously though, it's simply awesome.

On a side note, thinking of swapping for MB pro as I lately have a need to be more mobile. Sorry don't want to hijack thread, thought I'd mention it if anyone interested :)
Which macbook pro you looking for? Got a 13" 2.4 c2d (late 2008) with 4 gig ram that i might be selling...