Who have you or a loved one lost to COVID-19?

The_Donkey

Honorary Master
Maybe it's just me... but more and more people i know from various walks of life.. are msg me they got Covid.. I also hear more and more about ppl they knew or people i knew that succumbed to covid... most of the cases things were looking for the better... and then sudden relapse.
I think it was @Rajah who said a few days ago something along the lines of: "I went from knowing nobody who had COVID, to suddenly knowing lots of dead people".

My experience is similar.

Napalm

Expert Member
not quite. my father was in the hospital for 25 days with covid before being discharged. it took about 2 weeks for him to recover from being close to his deathbed to being able to sit up right. once he was discharged he was on oxygen for about another month after. so even after being discharged from the hospital, people may still require oxygen for quite some time after.
I spoke today with a gentleman who was in the same room as me, he was discharged a day before me, on the 24th of December. but he had to make arrangements for the Rental Oxygen machine. He still using it now and it's basically a month later. He said his doc mentioned it could take 6months in some cases to be completely off the oxygen machine.

Napalm

Expert Member
I think it was @Rajah who said a few days ago something along the lines of: "I went from knowing nobody who had COVID, to suddenly knowing lots of dead people".

My experience is similar.
Yeah it's not good. Sometimes it can be a person you seen at work before lockdown started. Sometimes it's a relative you haven't seen in ages. Somes a friends uncle/mom/dad or just a person at the braai you met. Sometimes it's just a person you knew working at the mall. It's becoming more and more common.

That is what is so scary, they not only get infected but they pass on so quickly.

Covid is not like HIV or Cancer, where the person can get it and maybe live another 10-20years with Treatment. Not taking anything away from those sicknesses. Any sickness these days can be a death-sentence. Specially if you get Covid along with that sickness. But... Covid is a gamechanger. Normal healthy folks of any age can succumb to it. The younger and healthier you are, the safer you are i guess.

There is a big "but", even younger people or teens who haven't been to doctors ever or perhaps not often, they could have an "Comorbidity" that they just haven't gotten checked out or don't know about yet. Maybe just feeling a bit tired after a short run, or feeling very sweaty on a very normal day, getting a cramp often maybe on the one side of your ribcage after a stairwalk. It starts small, but could be anything from Heart problem, Lung problem or Kidney issues creeping in, but too young or too inexperienced to think... hey maybe get this checked out or maybe it could be something.

Last edited:

Napalm

Expert Member
Boss just messaged me to say that a close work colleague passed away from Covid yesterday. I'm devastated.
Losing a co-worker is not easy. Specially if you worked together for a long time. Each person knows the other persons skills. If that person is no longer with us... it sometimes makes for a mismatch. Now things need new routines or new ways to fix things.

it's not easy

Sheks

My fiancee's mom's partner's son - he was in his early 30s, he leaves behind a wife, they did not have any children. My fiancee's mother is a matric exam setter and principal at a KZN school it is an absolute massacre amongst their ranks, many teachers and some markers have passed on due to the virus.

zolly

Expert Member
Again, condo
My fiancee's mom's partner's son - he was in his early 30s, he leaves behind a wife, they did not have any children. My fiancee's mother is a matric exam setter and principal at a KZN school it is an absolute massacre amongst their ranks, many teachers and some markers have passed on due to the virus.

It's crazy how randomly some people die to this thing. Yes, mostly older people with co-morbidities are affected, but what's scary is hearing about the number of younger people who also pass on.

Condolences for your family's loss...

Napalm

Expert Member
A friend of mine lost his old man, not sure exactly how old but 60+. RIP :(
Sorry to hear about the loss. Losing any parent is very hard. It's a part of yourself that just goes missing into the void. Replaced by silence and sorrow.

Very hard to overcome this. I'm still in grieving myself. Finding it every hard to overcome. Finding it hard to focus or find purpose. Specially if your life was surrounded by that parent. Doing things together, going to shops together. Making plans for Supper or making food together. That emptiness is really terrible

Cray

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear about the loss. Losing any parent is very hard. It's a part of yourself that just goes missing into the void. Replaced by silence and sorrow.

Very hard to overcome this. I'm still in grieving myself. Finding it every hard to overcome. Finding it hard to focus or find purpose. Specially if your life was surrounded by that parent. Doing things together, going to shops together. Making plans for Supper or making food together. That emptiness is really terrible
Thanks for the kind words, yeah, this second wave is hectic, hardly knew anyone who had it the first time round, not I know lots of people, although this is the first person I know who has died from it. :crying:

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Scary that the stats still only show so so few deaths there (40k maybe). Uk is at what, 90k odd deaths and I worked out between friends, colleagues and classmates, I know about 40 people who haven't been touched by covid yet. So wtf are the actual SA numbers going by this thread ..... scary stuff

zolly

Expert Member
Scary that the stats still only show so so few deaths there (40k maybe). Uk is at what, 90k odd deaths and I worked out between friends, colleagues and classmates, I know about 40 people who haven't been touched by covid yet. So wtf are the actual SA numbers going by this thread ..... scary stuff

One, I think our numbers are higher than being officially reported (no evidence for this outside of the apparent spikes in excess deaths). Two, I think our winter is going to be an absolute ****-show if we haven't started vaccinating people by then. A large amount of the UK's numbers are likely due to the fact that people are such in close proximity as they shelter in-doors in their warm and highly insulated homes.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Multiple friends' parents ... fwiw, one common denominator was the taking of recent local flights
I know of families who, knowing their status IE positive, still flew domestically to and from their holiday destinations!! It's this irresponsible and selfish behaviour that lands us in the predicament we currently find ourselves...

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Scary that the stats still only show so so few deaths there (40k maybe). Uk is at what, 90k odd deaths
Average UK age 40 yrs, average SA age 27yrs. I know all the waffle around "oh my stars, even young people are dying now", but it would appear that covid deaths are overwhelmingly skewed towards an older population

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I know of families who, knowing their status IE positive, still flew domestically to and from their holiday destinations!! It's this irresponsible and selfish behaviour that lands us in the predicament we currently find ourselves...
So, in your mind, Squirrel was right to chastise us as citizens?