Who have you or a loved one lost to COVID-19?

Lupus

Honorary Master
One, I think our numbers are higher than being officially reported (no evidence for this outside of the apparent spikes in excess deaths). Two, I think our winter is going to be an absolute ****-show if we haven't started vaccinating people by then. A large amount of the UK's numbers are likely due to the fact that people are such in close proximity as they shelter in-doors in their warm and highly insulated homes.
You're in a thread dedicated to those that know people who have had it and passed on. It's going to be skewed.

zolly

Expert Member
You're in a thread dedicated to those that know people who have had it and passed on. It's going to be skewed.

I'm not using the thread to come to that conclusion though. I even say why I came to that conclusion so I don't know where you'll pulling this from?

Napalm

Expert Member
Scary that the stats still only show so so few deaths there (40k maybe). Uk is at what, 90k odd deaths and I worked out between friends, colleagues and classmates, I know about 40 people who haven't been touched by covid yet. So wtf are the actual SA numbers going by this thread ..... scary stuff
yeah brother.. I think our Government like Russia. They not 100% on the numbers. The infection is "Who knows" , cause there is so many unknown amount of people who got it from workplace or friends or family and simply had little symtoms or ruffed it at home. Also do the Gov count each person with a Cov+ test.. or do they hide some numbers.

Same with deaths. So many people died either in hospital or at home. Maybe some people had complications like lung issues or kidney problems or heart problems. Do they add them to the "Covid Death" number or just write "Natural Causes". Who knows what the real numbers are.

SAguy

Executive Member
The last aunt in hospital passed away this morning.

So our family stats, about 25 got Covid.
5 were in hospital of which:
3 died on hospital
2 are back home and out of the woods it seems

That's one side of the family, other side hasn't gotten it yet. Let's hope it stays this way, we can't go through this again.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Just heard this morning that her (late aunt's) sister and mom have now tested positive. Mom is frail and has been on oxygen for the past 2 months (unrelated to Covid). The sister's hubby has tested negative but it's likely a matter of time sharing a 2 b/r flat with her and mom.
An update - my late aunt's mom has just been discharged from Hospital. This disease is bizarre. Her daughter passed away and she (30 a day smoker most of her adult life and 10-20 a day until recently and 30 years older) made it through and is recovering. My aunt was overweight, her mom is not.

Napalm

Expert Member
I don't know these people but the parents must be devastated.
So sad to see that report about the 2 sisters. Just shows that Covid is taking people young and old now. 27 and 19 years of age. They haven't even lived yet. The one just finished matric i guess, her life shoulda just started.

zolly

Expert Member
So, in your mind, Squirrel was right to chastise us as citizens?

The way I see it, it's not about completely shutting down your life, but just being careful. Ask yourself do I really need to do X/Y/Z? Even if you don't, maybe it'll add quality of life and improve your mental health. Then ask what you can do to make it as safe as possible.

Most people aren't doing this though. Because they don't take it seriously they just go about things to avoid breaking the law (if that), not protecting themselves or others around them.

In some instances people just get screwed because they accidentally get it (like my friend's dad who died after he went to the clinic), but the complete lack of concern until people get it and realise oh **** this thing is kak, even if you're young/and/or healthy, is mind-boggling.

SAguy

Executive Member
The way I see it, it's not about completely shutting down your life, but just being careful. Ask yourself do I really need to do X/Y/Z? Even if you don't, maybe it'll add quality of life and improve your mental health. Then ask what you can do to make it as safe as possible.

Most people aren't doing this though. Because they don't take it seriously they just go about things to avoid breaking the law (if that), not protecting themselves or others around them.

In some instances people just get screwed because they accidentally get it (like my friend's dad who died after he went to the clinic), but the complete lack of concern until people get it and realise oh **** this thing is kak, even if you're young/and/or healthy, is mind-boggling.

I know this sounds terrible, but it's almost like everyone should experience loss in order to take it seriously.

Yesterday (a few hours after hearing the news of the death of a family member) I went to Woolworths in Canal walk, in the queue behind me were 3 adults who were together that stood on top of me. I move 5cm forward and they move 5cm forward.

I turned around and told them to place stand still when I next move and give me some space, I was told to relax and not to be rude. I ignored them and stood in front of my trolley instead so I'd be able to put some space behind me. They just looked at me and shook their heads.

Took a lot of self control to not lose my cool, having just lost a family member and then facing idiots like this.

zolly

Expert Member
I know this sounds terrible, but it's almost like everyone should experience loss in order to take it seriously.

Yesterday (a few hours after hearing the news of the death of a family member) I went to Woolworths in Canal walk, in the queue behind me were 3 adults who were together that stood on top of me. I move 5cm forward and they move 5cm forward.

I turned around and told them to place stand still when I next move and give me some space, I was told to relax and not to be rude. I ignored them and stood in front of my trolley instead so I'd be able to put some space behind me. They just looked at me and shook their heads.

Took a lot of self control to not lose my cool, having just lost a family member and then facing idiots like this.

My direct family has been untouched so far (lost a cousin to this recently), but ya, had to deal with something similar a couple of weeks back at Spar... People man.

neoprema

Expert Member
My direct family has been untouched so far (lost a cousin to this recently), but ya, had to deal with something similar a couple of weeks back at Spar... People man.
I had someone do something similar. So I just turn a bit so i'm almost facing them and start coughing really badly... they normally start increase the distance...

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Scary that the stats still only show so so few deaths there (40k maybe). Uk is at what, 90k odd deaths and I worked out between friends, colleagues and classmates, I know about 40 people who haven't been touched by covid yet. So wtf are the actual SA numbers going by this thread ..... scary stuff
I know in provinces like L and and MP, they haven't had that many cases until recently. The village I'm from just had the 2nd covid death this weekend for example.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
My immediate and extended family remains untouched but things might change as many are in the medical/public health fields.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
I know in provinces like L and and MP, they haven't had that many cases until recently. The village I'm from just had the 2nd covid death this weekend for example.

Maybe the rurality is what 'saves' a lot of people. Similar to where I am here, cases are super low because it's a small town. The cities though, here and I'm very sure there, contrary to official figures, are very badly off :/

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Maybe the rurality is what 'saves' a lot of people. Similar to where I am here, cases are super low because it's a small town. The cities though, here and I'm very sure there, contrary to official figures, are very badly off :/
The cities are in a bad state. But this may soon change with the new variant and the recent holidays.

Mobus

Lost my grandmother (93) in June and my aunt (71) in December. This aunt's son and daughter (my cousins) got covid too. My one cousin recovered home but said she has never been this sick or felt so poorly. The other cuz is in hospital now and finally doing better after a week of hell.

Also, have never received so many bereavement notices at work for colleagues who lost parents. At least 7 colleagues have lost their fathers. An ex-colleague lost both his elderly mom and dad. Another colleague lost their domestic worker (also young). Our nanny lost an aunt and a younger cousin. Roughly half of these deaths were attributed to natural causes because they didn't or couldn't get tested.

Napalm

Expert Member

I agree with Zolly, i don't think it's about shutting down all of existence. Think we will all go mad in Super Strict Isolation if it lasts years...

It is about weighing in the options,
1. What you need... when you do go out, how long it takes and risk linked to it.
2. Is visiting of family / friends worth the risk? <we really don't know who's been where, everyone will say they careful.. but careful "doth butter no parsnips"> The infection could happen from someone you don't know, or a pharmacy or person who packaged your grocery's. Saying carefull means nothing. Better not to take that risk for the moment.
3. Going to places where there's big groups, places like Waterfront or Big Malls or perhaps shopping center close-by that gets alot of traffic. I don't know if it's a good idea to visit them at this stage, so much people walking all over the place, walking past each-other. I'm worried cause more people = More problems. Chances of infection just goes up if the crowd or footprint is more.

I think it's best to make visits to shops quick and to the point, get what you need 20min in and out.
Not to visit family outside your own home. <Video call or voice call if you need to chat with a family member or ask for a recipy>
Avoid going to malls/shopping centre's if there's too many people.

maumau

Honorary Master
I agree with Zolly, i don't think it's about shutting down all of existence. Think we will all go mad in Super Strict Isolation if it lasts years...

It is about weighing in the options,
1. What you need... when you do go out, how long it takes and risk linked to it.
2. Is visiting of family / friends worth the risk? <we really don't know who's been where, everyone will say they careful.. but careful "doth butter no parsnips"> The infection could happen from someone you don't know, or a pharmacy or person who packaged your grocery's. Saying carefull means nothing. Better not to take that risk for the moment.
3. Going to places where there's big groups, places like Waterfront or Big Malls or perhaps shopping center close-by that gets alot of traffic. I don't know if it's a good idea to visit them at this stage, so much people walking all over the place, walking past each-other. I'm worried cause more people = More problems. Chances of infection just goes up if the crowd or footprint is more.

I think it's best to make visits to shops quick and to the point, get what you need 20min in and out.
Not to visit family outside your own home. <Video call or voice call if you need to chat with a family member or ask for a recipy>
Avoid going to malls/shopping centre's if there's too many people.

Did my first WW click and collect yesterday, what a win :thumbsup:

It's things like globes, hardware etc that are the problem, and of course domestics and gardeners are back because we can't keep paying them for nothing.

Had two family members round over the weekend for the first time since March 2020.

Napalm

Expert Member
Did my first WW click and collect yesterday, what a win :thumbsup:

It's things like globes, hardware etc that are the problem, and of course domestics and gardeners are back because we can't keep paying them for nothing.

Had two family members round over the weekend for the first time since March 2020.
Best to have things delivered. (you don't know if they were clean) but at least it's limited to one dude/lady packing your stuff. If they sanitized and everything it should be safe.

Or at least safer.

VS you walking the mall going past 100 people in the process.

JuliusSeizure

Four people that I knew albeit who I was not that close to passed away in the last month.

Two of them were my neighbor and his wife. They were an elderly couple in their late 60s- early 70s.