Who is sharing my details

migraineboy

I received a call this afternoon from an agent for supersonic Fibre. I didn’t hear the company’s name properly and I initially thought it was someone from Cool Ideas or vumatel. I ordered one of Cool Ideas’ products two days ago. The agent was asking questions such as: has your line been activated yet, and have you been provided with an installation date, hence my confusion. When I answered in the negative she proceeded to sell her company’s services.

Has anyone else on the forums experienced this and if so is this not a DMA SA violation as only Cool Ideas and Vumatel would know about my product purchase.

Thanks

RazorCPT

Interestingly I got the exact same call yesterday.

I moved from CISP to Afrihost (both SADV) so dont think its Vumatel?

migraineboy

I’m trying to rack my brain to see if I opted in / not opted out somewhere during the application process.

Bewlen

Also received a call from Supersonic a day after my Vuma installation. Thought it a strange coincidence, but clearly it is not

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I received a call this afternoon from an agent for supersonic Fibre. I didn’t hear the company’s name properly and I initially thought it was someone from Cool Ideas or vumatel. I ordered one of Cool Ideas’ products two days ago. The agent was asking questions such as: has your line been activated yet, and have you been provided with an installation date, hence my confusion. When I answered in the negative she proceeded to sell her company’s services.

Has anyone else on the forums experienced this and if so is this not a DMA SA violation as only Cool Ideas and Vumatel would know about my product purchase.

Thanks
Well, Cool Ideas is on SuperSonics fibre...

scudsucker

Expert Member
This is what you ask, when random assholes call you:
Are you aware of the South African Electronic Communications and Transactions Act (25 of 2002), section 45(b)?

lowriderza

I think it's just somebody at the fibre companies selling info. Due to the nature of my job I often arrange fibre installs and sp's for customers and the same thing has happened to me.

cavedog

Honorary Master
My previous renting place I was with Aeonova360 as they were the only cable provider that installed in the estate. Today I get a call from Metrofibre networx saying I can now order fibre through them as they are also live in the Estate. I moved out quite a while ago and wonder where they got my number.... I'm not even an Aeonova360 client anymore for at least a year.

migraineboy

My previous renting place I was with Aeonova360 as they were the only cable provider that installed in the estate. Today I get a call from Metrofibre networx saying I can now order fibre through them as they are also live in the Estate. I moved out quite a while ago and wonder where they got my number.... I'm not even an Aeonova360 client anymore for at least a year.
It’s crazy what goes on behind the scenes in data dealing. And there’s limited recourse.