Who is the best website hosting company in South Africa?

rpm

Admin
Staff member
Who do you think are the best website hosting companies in South Africa?

Praemon

Expert Member
Hetzner hands down. I've tried Afrihost, Webafrica and RSAWeb, and none of them can touch Hetzner when it comes to service, stability and technical know-how.

Thor

Honorary Master
Domains.co.za

(of course I'm baised.)

However keep in mind I was and for the most case still have VPSes with most.

Afrihost
Hetzner
Web Africa
Elite host
Nexus
Cloud.co.za

None of them are as snappy as domains might be the SSDs and what feels like superior equipment, I'll run a little benchmark on the VPS and post it here.

Then most importantly support at 2am at night.

Technical know how, let's just say there is a lot more meets the eye with these guys they are not your typical hosting company.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Domains.co.za

(of course I'm baised.)

However keep in mind I was and for the most case still have VPSes with most.

Afrihost
Hetzner
Web Africa
Elite host
Nexus
Cloud.co.za

None of them are as snappy as domains might be the SSDs and what feels like superior equipment, I'll run a little benchmark on the VPS and post it here.

Then most importantly support at 2am at night.

Technical know how, let's just say there is a lot more meets the eye with these guys they are not your typical hosting company.
The only hosting entity that I would personally utilise in your above list is Hetzner, and, yes, they do run on SSD's. There are many other local providers, but I have no issue with Elite Host and Domains and I have no experience with Nexus and Cloud. I do however support that ISPs should put their attention towards connectivity services than hosting.

Thor

Honorary Master
The only hosting entity that I would personally utilise in your above list is Hetzner, and, yes, they do run on SSD's. There are many other local providers, but I have no issue with Elite Host and Domains and I have no experience with Nexus and Cloud. I do however support that ISPs should put their attention towards connectivity services than hosting.
Hetzner I have a Truserv box with buy I don't contact them when I have issues as the reasons and suggestions was laughable.

Maybe they changed, haven't contacted then in 2 years

Arthur

Honorary Master
I can never answer questions like this.

It's impossible to say who's best. It depends on what you need.

But there are a lot of pretty decent ones around.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I can never answer questions like this.

It's impossible to say who's best. It depends on what you need.

But there are a lot of pretty decent ones around.
For me, it is all about the service levels, that is when there is an agreement, SLA. However, typical hosting is the standard web hosting and unmanaged web hosting where the onus is largely placed on the service subscriber.

Enigma_

Somewhat pointless question as there is no definitive answer, depends what you are looking for.

Hetzner, Afrihost are solid, used them and never looked back. I also used Web Africa but their systems are unreliable and they have lost several experienced staff.

Answer: Hetzner/Afrihost

Thor

Honorary Master
Somewhat pointless question as there is no definitive answer, depends what you are looking for.

Hetzner, Afrihost are solid, used them and never looked back. I also used Web Africa but their systems are unreliable and they have lost several experienced staff.

Answer: Hetzner/Afrihost
You can't possibly compare the two.

Afrihost is not a hosting company, they simply do not have the infrastructure nor competence to host serious stuff.

Use them for the odd Blog or mom's home basked pies website, but not for serious stuff get a real host for that.

Enigma_

You can't possibly compare the two.

Afrihost is not a hosting company, they simply do not have the infrastructure nor competence to host serious stuff.

Use them for the odd Blog or mom's home basked pies website, but not for serious stuff get a real host for that.
Why not? For standard website hosting Afrihost is just fine. For something bigger, Hetzner sure.

Thor

Honorary Master
Why not? For standard website hosting Afrihost is just fine. For something bigger, Hetzner sure.
Sandbox, non critical stuff. AF because they are cheap.

Anything else, hetzner, domains.co.za and my preferences A2 Hosting/Blue Host/digitalocean