Who is the best website hosting company in South Africa?

mallies

I've been using Hetzner for a long time and don't see any reason to change. They are #1 in my books!!

Juggy

Executive Member
Texo is hands down the best out there. Steve and his team are very quick to respond to issues/queries and they're very friendly as well.

Minse

Have been loyal to Telkom, but am thinking of switching to Vox Telecom or Afrihost pretty soon.

NicholasDK

It depends on your situation & needs. Are you running a Wordpress site? Is speed/availability important to you? What are you willing to pay? Do you have a high traffic site?

In my experience Hetzner offers some of the best speeds/availability for Wordpress sites at a premium price. For high volume sites or media heavy sites eg. photographers I usually advise Hetzner.

If you are running a low traffic site Afrihost is okay, sites come in as low as R29 with a free domain, that's chomp change. They can get frustrating slow for Wordpress sites and can go offline regularly for short bursts. Afrihost has some great support I've had agents reply 7PM on a Friday night. If you have a simple site and want to save a few bucks they are okay.

Elitehost isn't bad either.

All hosts have their issues from time to time some less than other but you have to choose the right package for the site. You can't host an ecommerce on a shared host for R29 and then complain about bad speeds for that you might need a managed server.

Which host is the best? That is a loaded question.

Michael_M

Definitely Hetzner. I've been using them since about 1999/2000 and never had service issues with them. My first support contacts were with the MD Hans who was always quick to respond and I liked that (possibly they were so small then that he was a one man band then!).
Couldn't recommend them more highly.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
True, if you want the best uncapped hosting for less than R10 a month it's gotta be Host4Africa
Cybersmart has a free hosting package. They offer 600mb disk space compare to Host4Africa's 350mb on the R9.99 pm.

Both charge around R75 for a co.za domain.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Hope I'm not jumping in here too late (first quiet weekend has just arrived, yeah baby)!
For me it has to be Web Crew. They've been around a while and offer 3Gb for R14. That's nuts!

I've had hosting packages with Hetzner (actually still have 3 with them), Amplehosting, Elitehost and Hostking. HK I have to say performs similarly (speed-wise) to Web Crew, support is maybe a little better with them, but hey, the value of WC makes the lack of a live chat thingy etc worth compromising on.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
What about for someone who just wants basic self hosted Wordpress stuff at a good price?

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
What about for someone who just wants basic self hosted Wordpress stuff at a good price?
Someone who doesn't know much about hosting and just wants a basic self-hosted WP site should be fine with most hosts that have been mentioned. Web Crew, Hostking, Ample, etc all have softaculous for easy WP setup and backup management.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Someone who doesn't know much about hosting and just wants a basic self-hosted WP site should be fine with most hosts that have been mentioned. Web Crew, Hostking, Ample, etc all have softaculous for easy WP setup and backup management.
Sorry I guess I should have said cheap but decent. So rather most affordable. Cost / value.

But yes as point as click as you can get for a non-geek.

simonbee

I user Wordpress and Afrihost. Would moving to someone like Hetzner mean that my website will normally load quicker?

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Sorry I guess I should have said cheap but decent. So rather most affordable. Cost / value.

But yes as point as click as you can get for a non-geek.
As before, Web Crew offers the best value. By far. The below screenshot was taken of a part of my cPanel with them. Can't imagine you can get more obvious than this. Sign up - Pay - Login - Click WordPress :D

screen67.png