Who is the best website hosting company in South Africa?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Lekker. Will send it on.

Next best (cheapest) seems like Afrihost but I don't trust those muppets.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Can't get cheaper than free for a small website --> cybersmart - only pay for the URL with 600mb space.
Interesting. Surely you need to be a client of theirs for that though? And surely it doesn't support the point-and-click Wordpress functions?

AirWolf

Honorary Master
Interesting. Surely you need to be a client of theirs for that though? And surely it doesn't support the point-and-click Wordpress functions?
Was not a client before taking up the free hosting option.
I'm using wordpress on two small websites myself. I'll post a screenshot shortly.

Edit: I'm not very experienced at wordpress (or website design for that matter), so not sure what point-and-click functions you mean. Here's screenshot of the wordpress homepage when logged into your site:
Capture.jpg

Last edited:

AirWolf

Honorary Master
No need,I do believe you.

WIll check it out.
Posted screenshot in previous post.

Only drawback is setting up emails using them (on your url), as that count's towards the 600mb, if you're not setting email clients to delete emails.

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
That's nice considering it's all khulula (free). But I've crossed that bridge before. For a web designer like myself I need a hosting package that actually gives you enough system resources (RAM, CPU etc) to make something decent with functionality. WordPress can be a resource hog at times and the 600Mb disk space is not quite enough to store backups, a decent site, and emails. For the price of a cup of coffee I get 5 times the amount of space and at least double (probably like four times) the system resources.

But that's just my opinion - I guess if you're just building a site for the sake of it then it's about doing it as cheaply as possible.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
That's nice considering it's all khulula (free). But I've crossed that bridge before. For a web designer like myself I need a hosting package that actually gives you enough system resources (RAM, CPU etc) to make something decent with functionality. WordPress can be a resource hog at times and the 600Mb disk space is not quite enough to store backups, a decent site, and emails. For the price of a cup of coffee I get 5 times the amount of space and at least double (probably like four times) the system resources.

But that's just my opinion - I guess if you're just building a site for the sake of it then it's about doing it as cheaply as possible.
The two simple ones I've done for a few smaller companies in our group, are more for online presence and contactability - simple three option menu. So nothing fancy really needed when it came to the hosting; free being the best choice, in this particular instance.

Edit:
I have a personal co.za domain that is simply forwarding to my personal .com website. If you can give me examples of stuff that will stress-test their free hosting, I'm up for it.

Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

I think it would be a good "try before you buy" type stepping stone for someone who just wants to start out and isn't yet sure where the website will take them.

When it does see enough traffic or starts running out of space you just upgrade.

AirWolf

Honorary Master
http://loadimpact.com/ results should give you an indication of how many visitors the site can effectively handle
Free website 1:
Transfered: 37.8 MB in 1820 reqs
Started: Aug 22 14:38 Ended: Aug 22 14:43 VUs: 25 Duration: 5

Free website 2:
Transfered: 36.23 MB in 1525 reqs
Started: Aug 22 14:38 Ended: Aug 22 14:44 VUs: 25 Duration: 5

Paid website with Host4Africa:
Transfered: 152.36 MB in 4759 reqs

lived666

Executive Member
I am battling with a php script that won't function properly on elitehost...yet works 100% on some crappy free international server :(:confused:

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Free website 1:
Transfered: 37.8 MB in 1820 reqs

Free website 2:
Transfered: 36.23 MB in 1525 reqs
Started: Aug 22 14:38 Ended: Aug 22 14:44 VUs: 25 Duration: 5

Paid website with Host4Africa:
Transfered: 152.36 MB in 4759 reqs
Mmm, that's a bit on the slow side. Even the paid hosting with Host4Africa. I get at least double that on a bad day :)

Thor

Honorary Master
I am battling with a php script that won't function properly on elitehost...yet works 100% on some crappy free international server :(:confused:
Call them ask them what php functions they have access chances are they must just activate one for you in the global settings.

Send it it me I'll test it on domains for you.

3lOH55A

Expert Member
Mmm, that's a bit on the slow side. Even the paid hosting with Host4Africa. I get at least double that on a bad day :)
Not sure how you determine the speed for the data he posted? Depending on the website size, files, CSS etc it needs to load, that's the bandwidth used for all those requests.

If you want to measure apples with apples, you have to have the same site loaded on 2 different servers running on 2 different packages and then look at the VU load time.

For example. I can guarantee you that when you run 25 VU users on the cyber smart free package or any other cheap hosting package, expect 10-20 sec average VU load time when 25 users are active.

Run this on a better hosting package, and you should see 2-5 seconds when 25 VU users are running, assuming the hosting company has their resource splitting setup correctly. I've seen hosts sell packages for R200 a month and in return you get a dud.

Last edited:

lived666

Executive Member
Call them ask them what php functions they have access chances are they must just activate one for you in the global settings.

Send it it me I'll test it on domains for you.
Can't really call them, no tel support...but have opened a ticket and they are looking into it.

Thanks for the offer, its a good few mbs so lets see what they come up with, I have sent them samples of where its working and where its causing an issue on their hosting.