Who is the best website hosting company in South Africa?

Thor

Honorary Master
Can't really call them, no tel support...but have opened a ticket and they are looking into it.

Thanks for the offer, its a good few mbs so lets see what they come up with, I have sent them samples of where its working and where its causing an issue on their hosting.
Worst case I'll fire up a dummy site and send you the ftp

Last edited:

Idiosyncratic

Expert Member
Not sure how you determine the speed for the data he posted? Depending on the website size, files, CSS etc it needs to load, that's the bandwidth used for all those requests.

If you want to measure apples with apples, you have to have the same site loaded on 2 different servers running on 2 different packages and then look at the VU load time.
You're right. I optimize my websites so well that it can make slow(er) hosting seem fast.
But we don't exactly have the convenience of measuring the same apple on two different servers right now :)

In this case, however, I'm sure that you can conclude that the free hosting performance is lower than average. And Host4Africa isn't know as the speed king either.

I had the same website hosted on ample, elite, hostking and web crew. Did several tests. Ample boasts tons of resources but Hostking was faster (better tech at the time of testing). Elite was the slowest (by a mile), but I guess I can't promise they're still that bad as they've upgraded their setup. Web Crew was a tad faster than hostking, but for those in Cape Town itself they were about the same (seems WC has their servers in Joburg and HK in CPT).

Guess it depends on what server you're placed on and a million other factors. For me the choice was obvious because of value.

3lOH55A

Expert Member
Most shared systems run suphp for security reasons, which is dog slow compared to fastcgi or dso.

Average joe doesn't give a bang, its people like you and me that can spot the difference. I've said this a few times, and will say it again. You get what you pay for, simple as that.

lived666

Executive Member
managed to sort out the issue, received feedback from elitehost and sat with the coder for a few hours but we sorted out the problem, but thanks thor187, generous offer!!

hilton

Expert Member
Webafrica formerly known as ServHost without a doubt
For simple hosting they're not bad just don't use them for custom DNS (where a record in the domain zone points elsewhere).

They've screwed up every single Windows hosting site I've had with them. I now use Afrihost (shock horror!) for Windows hosting or just tell my clients to code with a Linux platform in mind.

raysa87

Webafrica and Afrihost have been good. Tried a couple but havent found any ones im really impressed with though.

Conack

Expert Member
I like Elitehost's team.

Approachable, helpful, very well priced.
There was the DDOS incident but fortunately my services weren't really affected

Have had two dealings with Hetzner where they dropped the ball so badly that the client was left without mail for days, after taking every precaution beforehand and feeding them all the necessary info.
In the end couldn't get the client moved away from them and had to reverse everything since they were too incompetent, and the client is now too afraid they'll mess up the domain transfer to Elitehost if they were to attempt it again..
YMMV.

SLi-Man

Add cybersmart to the list to avoid. I had a very bad experience with them trying move my website to them. 7 days after taking out the hosting package I still couldn't get into my hosting server. After numerous calls and emails I am still waiting on a response from the hosting department after my issue was escalated twice to the "1 hour" response queue. Luckily I could cancel everything before my domain transferred.