Whole fillet on a Weber

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I need some help with this. I've done it once before, but can't remember the exact recipe.

The idea is to take a whole fillet and cut it lengthwise partway through, stuff it, bind it closed and place it on indirect heat on the Weber.

Does anyone have ideas for a nice filling to go into the fillet?

rubber_otter

Expert Member
Olive oil, garlic, peppadews, diced onions, some spices, cream-cheese.

Just use a very sharp knife when butterflying the meat after taking it off the braai. Otherwise you lose most of it ;)

chicken247

Slow burn those coals , 175 degrees fahrenheit slow-cook with occasional butter basting, Blue cheese filling 3/4 through the process. Side dish is important. Presentation and aplomb too.
Quality whisky is key.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Well, here's what I did.

1. Take the fillet and cut a slot into the top.
2. Spread basil pesto on the inside.
3. Take Ina Paarman's half sun dried tomatoes in oil, drain the oil (and keep for later). Place sun dried tomato-halves inside the fillet.
4. Crumble feta over the lot. In my case it was black pepper feta.
5. Using string, bind the fillet closed to keep everything inside.
6. Use the left-over tomato infused oil from the sun dried tomatoes and spread it over the fillet.
7. Salt and black pepper to taste.
8. Couple of minutes on a hot pan to brown the outside.
9. Onto the Weber (indirect heat).

It was incredible, even if I say so myself...

Quad Pipe

Well, here's what I did.

3. Take Ina Paarman's half sun dried tomatoes in oil, drain the oil (and keep for later). Place sun dried tomato-halves inside the fillet.
6. Use the left-over tomato infused oil from the sun dried tomatoes and spread it over the fillet.

How long did you cook it for and what was the result (medium rare, medium)? And how big was the fillet?

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Well, here's what I did.

Number 8 - You can improve flavour if you grill it over the VERY hot coals for a minute each side before moving to indirect heat. Will give it more grilled/smokey/braai flavour. Great recipe though, I think I must try this!

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Number 8 - You can improve flavour if you grill it over the VERY hot coals for a minute each side before moving to indirect heat. Will give it more grilled/smokey/braai flavour. Great recipe though, I think I must try this!
The pan searing seemed a bit unnecessary considering.

AntennaMan

Expert Member

Unfortunately some of my plans fell apart... I didn't check properly and therefore when I wanted to start the fire, I realised I had normal charcoal and not briquettes. For the indirect heat method on the Weber, you need briquettes, as the normal charcoal just falls right through the grill.

I therefore had to use the oven :-(

It did however still come out alright.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
How long did you cook it for and what was the result (medium rare, medium)? And how big was the fillet?

It was just shy of 1 kg fillet.

Cooking time was around 25 - 30 minutes.

Although I prefer medium rare, my in-laws are heathens that generally prefer medium-well to well-done. I compromised and ended up with medium.

P00HB33R

Cut the fillet open so that it looks like a sock. Stuff with biltong, creamcheese of your choice, some garlic. Close hole at the top with butchers twine or toothpicks. Slow cook on weber as per usual.

Toxxyc

Executive Member
On that note - where does one source butcher's twine from?

Toxxyc

Executive Member
Correct. Replace the pan searing with hot-coal grilling in this regard. It'll serve the same purpose, but improve the flavour.