who's best for 30 GB / month power users?

gulli

For the last few months I've been using roughly 30 GB per month with our 4Mbit DSL line with a mixture of 4 GB of unshaped Telkom Adsl traffic and a Webafrica Prepaid unshaped account (125R per Gig). As the necessary payments grew really crazy to roughly 3000 R per month I'm now looking for a cheaper alternative and asking for your suggestions.

With Webafrica i'm pretty happy when using their Verizon DSL service (just add a .v to your username) but I can't imagine that 125 Rands per Gigabyte is really the last word on the market. I looked through axxess's uncapped offering but do not know if that is somehow suitable if reliablity and international speed is number one priority for me. I did also look into Neotel after they were ranked so well in MyBBs 2008 Broadband report, but from what I understand their service is relatively slow compared to DSL speeds and it's not made to share...

Any recommendation for cheaper Bandwidth ad great speeds?

gulli

gulli

Do you really need all 30GB to be unshaped?
I actually never used any unshaped service, but from what I hear I can't expect Skype, Mail, Youtube, ICQ to work reliably and these are crucial for my work, so I don't wanna think about switching connections every time and I more or less use them 24/7...

Gothan

Expert Member
I have never had a single problem with youtube, well except that I have 384 and it spools every now and again, never had a problem with icq, irc or any other messaging utility either, and I am on IS uncapped express (but its still shaped)

willemvdm

If I were you, I'll get a 1GB shaped prepaid account, just to try. If it doesn't work, you loose like R70, but think of how much you can save if you find it suitable for your needs.

From the apps you mention, it is only Skype that I think might cause a problem on shaped bandwidth, however I'm not a Skype user, that's only from what I hear. So give it a try and do extensive testing on Skype.

As for reliability, if Skype work reliably for one day on shaped and you don't mind the slight delay effect caused by higher latency, it should be the same every day, most of the time. I think ALL services, shaped or not give problems from time to time. Thats why I keep accounts from two or more service providers, all shaped. I let my PC dial the connection, so it is quick and easy to switch if one goes belly up.

PS: High latency don't imply slower speeds. It only effects the time from your PC sending info to it receiving a reply. Once the "reply info" start flowing it will go at your full line speed.

Last edited: