Who's to blame for poor pay-TV competition?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yep, I wanted to answer with ICASA as soon as the headline asked the question...

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
What everybody fails to see is that Multichoice have been going for over 20 years.They also started small as Mnet and then slowly grew to where they are today. For anyone to compete is going to be very difficult. Also they do not get bailed out every year like the SABC.

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
MNet's 'bailout' happened in the mid- and early nineties, where through a few shrewd but questionable actions and agreements they placed themselves in a very fortuitous position. They've not loosened their grip since, but whether they'll be able to adapt with the times from here on in is an open question. I also wonder our economically active population can support much more than what Multichoice so greedily gobbles up every month.

That being said, Multichoice is definitely feeling a degree of pressure - their newest mid-range DSTv offering is evidence of that.

Petec

Expert Member
No mention of dina pule's hand in the ultimate delay and roll out of digital tv either.
All these factor add up

R13...

Honorary Master
No mention of dina pule's hand in the ultimate delay and roll out of digital tv either.
All these factor add up

She didn't help but DDT was delayed by Nyanda's attempts to change the standard to that other south american thing for questionable reasons. Also MC was already deeply entrenched even before that.

grok

Honorary Master
Industry insiders argue that ineffective regulation

Guess the keyword describing ICASA. Hint: .. it's in bold.

Who cares anyway? DSTV has steadily been pricing themselves out of the tech savvy market, I predict that 5 years from now most of us will be filling our entertainment needs online. Leave ICASA to shackle the SABC & those without alternatives.