Why a "cheap and nasty" fibre deal is a bad idea

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Why a "cheap and nasty" fibre deal is a bad idea

Supersonic CEO Calvin Collet has said that many cheap fibre deals flooding the South African market are unsustainable in the long run.

Speaking in an interview with MyBroadband, Collet stressed the importance of customer service and network stability in fibre packages from local ISPs, stating that Supersonic's offering does not aim to be the cheapest.

PAYBACK

Expert Member
Why should I pay more on the previsor I will get good "customer service" when the proverbial hits the fan?

Executive Member
In the current economic situation, most people will be looking for cheapest. I'd question if there is a market for "a little bit more expensive but you get better support". But I'm sure they've done the research, all the best to them.

Thor

Honorary Master
Okey he can say what he wants I won't choose his expensive bolt-on service over a less expensive one.
On a more serious note, this argument is stupid because you have very little choice since it all depends on who is willing to put down your fiber, we have IS or xDSL one is 25k p/m one is 2k p/m

furpile

Expert Member
I am sure there is a market for such an offering, assuming they actually provide a superior quality network with superior support. There was just such an ADSL provider in the past few years, although it didn't end so well for them. Not sure if the fibre network has the same issues wrt contention and quality that ADSL has where the ISP can make a big difference?

McGuywer

Executive Member
The same has been said of Afrihost's R29 a GB offer, back in the day.

Didn't Mweb say the same and turn around later with uncapped?

furpile

Expert Member
@furpile How excited are you about Frogfoot in Richards Bay :D
I am impatiently waiting, but they haven't started yet and there is no indication when they will start. Vodacom is currently putting in fibre in my street, but they are more expensive. Two things also bother me, supposed free router they want to do a credit check on me since they lease it over 12 months, and I have to use their locked router which they say is a special "fibre" router but is actually just a normal ADSL modem/router. Is this typical with other ISP's as well?

cavedog

Honorary Master
I am impatiently waiting, but they haven't started yet and there is no indication when they will start. Vodacom is currently putting in fibre in my street, but they are more expensive. Two things also bother me, supposed free router they want to do a credit check on me since they lease it over 12 months, and I have to use their locked router which they say is a special "fibre" router but is actually just a normal ADSL modem/router. Is this typical with other ISP's as well?
Well you know Vodacom is open access right so you dont HAVE to use Vodacom as ISP too. Look at Cool Ideas on Vodacom fibre network.

Solitude

Expert Member
Well you know Vodacom is open access right so you dont HAVE to use Vodacom as ISP too. Look at Cool Ideas on Vodacom fibre network.
It is? We've got Vodacom fibre and we had to take Vodacom as the ISP. I don't know if things have changed over the last year or so.

cavedog

Honorary Master
It is? We've got Vodacom fibre and we had to take Vodacom as the ISP. I don't know if things have changed over the last year or so.
Yes it has. Very limited ISPs though but Cool Ideas and Accelerit is an option on Vodacom fibre. They are actually better options as they do not need credit checks and obviously uncapped and unshapped no fair use policy like with Vodacom ISP.

Solitude

Expert Member
Yes it has. Very limited ISPs though but Cool Ideas and Accelerit is an option on Vodacom fibre. They are actually better options as they do not need credit checks and obviously uncapped and unshapped no fair use policy like with Vodacom ISP.
That's very cool, thanks!

furpile

Expert Member
Awesome. So i can order the line through Cool Ideas then?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Awesome. So i can order the line through Cool Ideas then?
Yes it would be like ordering any other service. Cool ideas will place an order with Vodacom who will come and install the ONT. Cool ideas will courier you a router to use which you plug into the fibre ont and off you go.

Cool ideas is probably going to charge you for the installation so just take note of that fee but it's a fee charged by Vodacom.