Why a "cheap and nasty" fibre deal is a bad idea

AJMartin64

Calvin Collet is absolutely right and I'm not even using Supersonic as an ISP. Cheapest isn't always the best and if people haven't learned from Telkom's cheap deals getting burned over and over due to a lack of service, then u shouldn't complain, period. On the other hand Supersonic hasn't got a leg to stand on either when I required information regarding their Fibre services, they only responded to my email 8 days later, hence I'm pretty sure they're enough trouble on their own, imagine if they take so long with an email how the after service would be eventually. So put your money where your mouth is Supersonic!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AJMartin64

In the current economic situation, most people will be looking for cheapest. I'd question if there is a market for "a little bit more expensive but you get better support". But I'm sure they've done the research, all the best to them.
I'm willing to pay more for exceptional service which I'm currently doing, but I can understand if one's budget is a bit strained of course.

AJMartin64

I recently signed up for a "cheap and nasty" 25mb symmetrical line from Home-Connect. So far, service is great and my support interaction was fabulous. It depends on whose infrastructure is available and how greedy they are, in my opinion.
Yup sometimes you hit it lucky and that's awesome. Do u mind to share the "cheap and nasty" ISP with us, maybe we can also benefit from them please lol?

ld13

Honorary Master
Cheapest isn't always the best and if people haven't learned from Telkom's cheap deals getting burned over and over due to a lack of service, then u shouldn't complain, period.
What cheap telkom deals are you referring to?

I recently signed up for a "cheap and nasty" 25mb symmetrical line from Home-Connect. So far, service is great and my support interaction was fabulous. It depends on whose infrastructure is available and how greedy they are, in my opinion.
Yup sometimes you hit it lucky and that's awesome. Do u mind to share the "cheap and nasty" ISP with us, maybe we can also benefit from them please lol?
TLDR? Simply read the post.

AJMartin64

What a Hypocrite.

I called him out on facebook about Supersonic poor performance on Openserve and he just ignored it and instead act as if nothing is wrong. Fix your network before you start pointing at others!
I inquired about Supersonic's fibre services via email on 25 July, they only responded to day 8 days later. I subsequenty informed them to go fly a kite as a result, if it takes them 8 days to respond to an email, imagine the quality of after service once ure using them as an ISP???

AJMartin64

Okey he can say what he wants I won't choose his expensive bolt-on service over a less expensive one.
On a more serious note, this argument is stupid because you have very little choice since it all depends on who is willing to put down your fiber, we have IS or xDSL one is 25k p/m one is 2k p/m
Cheapest can be a risk at times. (Afrikaans saying: Goedkoop koop is duur koop / Buying cheap could end up being more expensive). But one has to agree sometimes you hit it lucky, but it's the exception to the rule for sure?

ld13

Honorary Master
Cheapest can be a risk at times. (Afrikaans saying: Goedkoop koop is duur koop / Buying cheap could end up being more expensive). But one has to agree sometimes you hit it lucky, but it's the exception to the rule for sure?
Welcome to the (a?) forum.

Are you aware that you can quote multiple posts in one post?

furpile

Expert Member
Yes it would be like ordering any other service. Cool ideas will place an order with Vodacom who will come and install the ONT. Cool ideas will courier you a router to use which you plug into the fibre ont and off you go.

Cool ideas is probably going to charge you for the installation so just take note of that fee but it's a fee charged by Vodacom.
Phoned CI now. I can order through them. Initial setup cost is a bit higher than Vodacom, but they don't have any of the ridiculous requirements that Vodacom have. So I will be placing an order with them until Frogfoot arrives. Then I will switch over since the Vodacom network is significantly more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up!

furpile

Expert Member
they are only going live in about six months.Doing the whole Richardsbay and then go live. They have done it more than a month ago in my street.
Busy in Arb Ext now.
Thanks. For Meerensee it still shows planned, and every time they phone they tell me they are still waiting for approval. Judging by how long Vodacom is taking I think it will take more than 6 months just for Meerensee. They have been busy here since April and they are probably not even halfway yet.

maccaman

I inquired about Supersonic's fibre services via email on 25 July, they only responded to day 8 days later. I subsequenty informed them to go fly a kite as a result, if it takes them 8 days to respond to an email, imagine the quality of after service once ure using them as an ISP???
My experience as well. I tried signing up on 3 occassions, they did not respond or seem to care. I thought of contacting Calvin Collet directly, but then I thought, if they are not interested in my business, how responsive will they be to any propblems I experience? On that basis I gave up on them. If they are selling themselves on superior customer service, my dear Calvin, you have no idea what that is and are totally out of your depth.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Phoned CI now. I can order through them. Initial setup cost is a bit higher than Vodacom, but they don't have any of the ridiculous requirements that Vodacom have. So I will be placing an order with them until Frogfoot arrives. Then I will switch over since the Vodacom network is significantly more expensive.

Thanks for the heads up!
Yes they are a bit more expensive but you can use them while you wait for forgfoot. If I have to be honest I think Frogfoot will not roll out in Meerensee because Vodacom beat them too it. They would need to compete for limited signups so not feasible. I would be very surprised if frogfoot goes ahead and rolls out fibre in Meerensee. For the rest of Richards bay they are pushing rollout and Empangeni is also planned but a part of Empangeni had Openserve trenched fibre for a while now.

Moto Guzzi

Calvin Collet is absolutely right and I'm not even using Supersonic as an ISP. Cheapest isn't always the best and if people haven't learned from Telkom's cheap deals getting burned over and over due to a lack of service, then u shouldn't complain, period. On the other hand Supersonic hasn't got a leg to stand on either when I required information regarding their Fibre services, they only responded to my email 8 days later, hence I'm pretty sure they're enough trouble on their own, imagine if they take so long with an email how the after service would be eventually. So put your money where your mouth is Supersonic!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If Feul prices, Communications, Public transport, Electricity, TAXES, Health INsurance, Admin fees are OVERCHARGED no matter what excuses are dished up, the economy cannot get off the ground for most, for only a few it would not matter. No economy is sustainable like this...as you will see......After all if you kill the buyers, who will buy from you in the end, this is the Game-Of-Monetaries.

furpile

Expert Member
Yes they are a bit more expensive but you can use them while you wait for forgfoot. If I have to be honest I think Frogfoot will not roll out in Meerensee because Vodacom beat them too it. They would need to compete for limited signups so not feasible. I would be very surprised if frogfoot goes ahead and rolls out fibre in Meerensee. For the rest of Richards bay they are pushing rollout and Empangeni is also planned but a part of Empangeni had Openserve trenched fibre for a while now.
Yeah I am starting to lose hope for Frogfoot. A few months back one of their salesmen actually told me they were not rolling out to Meerensee anymore. Apparently based on an advisor. Back then Meerensee dropped off their website as well. Then a few weeks later they start advertising in Meerensee again and suddenly nobody knew why they told me they cancelled their plans. And I still cannot place an order on their website.

AJMartin64

My experience as well. I tried signing up on 3 occassions, they did not respond or seem to care. I thought of contacting Calvin Collet directly, but then I thought, if they are not interested in my business, how responsive will they be to any propblems I experience? On that basis I gave up on them. If they are selling themselves on superior customer service, my dear Calvin, you have no idea what that is and are totally out of your depth.
Yup I totally agree with you, Supersonic will never see me ever, that's a promise. They didn't even bother to respond again, when I told them I'm not interested anymore, freakin aholes lol.

rodmur

Why a "cheap and nasty" fibre deal is a bad idea

Supersonic CEO Calvin Collet has said that many cheap fibre deals flooding the South African market are unsustainable in the long run.

Speaking in an interview with MyBroadband, Collet stressed the importance of customer service and network stability in fibre packages from local ISPs, stating that Supersonic's offering does not aim to be the cheapest.
PROBABLY THE WORSTSERVICE I HAVE HAD FROM ANTONE IN RECENT YEARS. NOBODY ANSWERS THEIR PHONES OR THEY HANG UP ON YOU OR THE GO TO MAIL BOX FULL

PsyWulf

Executive Member
2 things come to mind:
The size of the company doesn't have much bearing on Quality of service,inversely maybe,these days the biggest guys shrug and say nothing while the small ISPs fight for customer share with service and price
If you consider the absolute worst case with a No-contract ISP to switch to another is the holding period and 1month of transition time theoretically (and conversely 1 month of lost subscription) if Shirt hits the Fan there is little to this "bad idea" thought