Why a "cheap and nasty" fibre deal is a bad idea

LandyMan

Honorary Master
Why should I pay more on the previsor I will get good "customer service" when the proverbial hits the fan?
If you WERE in fact getting good customer service, an increased price will make sense. However, when it comes to Supersonic, they still have a LOT to learn around customer service

furpile

Expert Member
Anyone know if fibre is live yet in RB?
Hi, depending on where you are yes. In Meerensee all the streets that Vodacom have finished trenching the fibre is live. They haven't done all the streets yet though. Other suburbs I think Frogfoot is also trenching, not sure if their network is live yet.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Hi, depending on where you are yes. In Meerensee all the streets that Vodacom have finished trenching the fibre is live. They haven't done all the streets yet though. Other suburbs I think Frogfoot is also trenching, not sure if their network is live yet.
:thumbsup: thanks. Will check sometime if something is available. I hope Frogfoot as Vodacom looks expensive and will probably want a contract.

cavedog

Honorary Master
:thumbsup: thanks. Will check sometime if something is available. I hope Frogfoot as Vodacom looks expensive and will probably want a contract.

Check Vodacom fibre coverage map to see live areas in Meerensee.

Check Frogfoot map for estimations on line dates. Most of Arboretum is 25 Nov and parts of Veldenvlei is 10 December

furpile

Expert Member
If Vodacom is covering your area, you don't have to sign up with them directly. Cavedog directed me to other ISP's that are also available on Vodacom's network, Cool Ideas and Accelerit being 2 of them.

Vodacom has a month to month option, but they force you to take their router, which they "lease" to you over 12 months. So they want to do a credit check first, and force you to work on debit order only. The router also seems to be completely locked down so you cannot change anything, and they have remote access. You are also not allowed to use your own router, because they have a "special fibre router" (which is actually just an ADSL modem/router).

I signed up with CI and one of my friends with Accelerit in the last few weeks, just waiting for Vodacom to do the install, so don't have feedback yet. But CI support so far have been great, even if Vodacom keeps dropping the ball. Hopefully Vodacom's network has good quality and stability for the price you pay.

RedViking

Nord of the South
If Vodacom is covering your area, you don't have to sign up with them directly. Cavedog directed me to other ISP's that are also available on Vodacom's network, Cool Ideas and Accelerit being 2 of them.

Vodacom has a month to month option, but they force you to take their router, which they "lease" to you over 12 months. So they want to do a credit check first, and force you to work on debit order only. The router also seems to be completely locked down so you cannot change anything, and they have remote access. You are also not allowed to use your own router, because they have a "special fibre router" (which is actually just an ADSL modem/router).

I signed up with CI and one of my friends with Accelerit in the last few weeks, just waiting for Vodacom to do the install, so don't have feedback yet. But CI support so far have been great, even if Vodacom keeps dropping the ball. Hopefully Vodacom's network has good quality and stability for the price you pay.
Thanks! Will give CI a shout.

Emjay

Executive Member
What he says makes sense to a degree. The technical requirements to manage the back end of a network are no joke, and the solutions to provide world class customer services are very, very expensive. Think monitoring and event altering. Also, when you look at the history of fibre roll-out in South Africa, everyone is just competing for market share and trying to hit their targets to someday pay for the capital expenditure of building these networks. All while usage on a per user basis is increasing, especially in the uncapped space. It's ironic, because these users expect to be paying ever decreasing prices while they are consuming more and more data.

hungrymamba

What he says makes sense to a degree. The technical requirements to manage the back end of a network are no joke, and the solutions to provide world class customer services are very, very expensive. Think monitoring and event altering. Also, when you look at the history of fibre roll-out in South Africa, everyone is just competing for market share and trying to hit their targets to someday pay for the capital expenditure of building these networks. All while usage on a per user basis is increasing, especially in the uncapped space. It's ironic, because these users expect to be paying ever decreasing prices while they are consuming more and more data.
Spoken like a true capitalist.