Why a DSLR camera still beats a great smartphone

Origin248

In a world where everyone is moving to mirrorless (yes yes, some diehards are still sticking with DSLR, but the overall trend is undeniable) - why in the world are we still talking about DSLR's?

genetic

Honorary Master
Really? We need an article for this?

That's like comparing a i10 to a Rolls Royce. R10 to the person who guesses the winner. :sneaky:

genetic

Honorary Master
In a world where everyone is moving to mirrorless (yes yes, some diehards are still sticking with DSLR, but the overall trend is undeniable) - why in the world are we still talking about DSLR's?
Mirrorless vs mirrored does not affect image quality or capability, so your point is moot.

saor

Honorary Master
Koch said that he uses his DSLR camera for his wildlife photography, but when he is traveling, he uses his smartphone
For most people convenience > quality.
Especially with wide-angle lenses and better macro on new phones.

KT-B

Honorary Master
If I am on a trip - my cell. If I am shooting an event - my DSLR. It is a no-brainer.

cpu.

Expert Member

That's like comparing a i10 to a Rolls Royce. R10 to the person who guesses the winner. :sneaky:
The winner of what? The smallest, the cheapest?

It's the i10.

Can I have my R10, thank you.

Jola

Honorary Master

Because mirrorless is not there yet. Even the Nikon Z7 doesn't quite do it.

Maybe the next model ?

graybeard

Eish. People don't know what they don't know. Sensors can be much of a muchness but nobody's picked up that lens optics aren't even mentioned? The lens (and lens quality) plays an absolutely critical role.

You get what you pay for so ask yourself why professional photogs are happy to pay at least $5K for a lens. Never mind that the price of a Phase One XF 100MP Camera System (with Schneider Kreuznach 80mm LS lens) - a camera which is favoured by the world's top fashion photogs - is like $49K!

The untrained eye can be easily deceived so pull the images from various offerings into, say Phase One's Capture One Pro Image Editor. The differences in quality will immediately become apparent.

3WA

Executive Member
I like the ritual of taking out the DSLR with the intention of photographing something nice.

I paid good money for a smartphone with a decent camera but there's such an overload of stuff I should shoot with it that I never get around to any of it. The last photo I took was of a stove's spec sheet.

genetic

Honorary Master
I like the ritual of taking out the DSLR with the intention of photographing something nice.

I paid good money for a smartphone with a decent camera but there's such an overload of stuff I should shoot with it that I never get around to any of it. The last photo I took was of a stove's spec sheet.
Reading this post gave me cancer.

ekske1

Executive Member

lefties facebook saferoom generation targeted article?

Don't think yourself and a few of us falls into the blog-lite range.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
For most people convenience > quality.
Especially with wide-angle lenses and better macro on new phones.
Old saying: The best camera is the one in your pocket when you want to take a photo, not the one in your car or at home. The best lens is the one screwed onto your camera when the opportunity arises, not the one in your bag.

Edit: That was published in 2009, when the iPhone had a 2 megapixel camera: https://www.takealot.com/the-best-camera-is-the-one-that-s-with-you-ebook/PLID37416945

Last edited:

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Let me try this...

This is a pointless article. Here's why...
Those that know the differences between cellphone cameras and high end cameras know more than Jamie. Those that don't, don't care and use their phone.

How did I do?

graybeard

Let me try this...

This is a pointless article. Here's why...
Those that know the differences between cellphone cameras and high end cameras know more than Jamie. Those that don't, don't care and use their phone.

How did I do?
:laugh: You scored ten out of ten in my book! (Jamie might a bit peeved though ;))

graybeard

True, true. Also, when one takes out a real camera it looks like serious business. Hauling out the smartphone just makes it look like another parent at a schoolkid's awards ceremony :laugh:

Eat my shorts

FYI,. First movie shot on a smartphone was with a Android Samsung S8 .
Not a Apple you pineapple.
Do research first