Why a DSLR camera still beats a great smartphone

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Cellphone photos are great when viewed on a small or low res screen.
It's not the latest phone, but I used to think my Galaxy S7 takes pretty good photos. Since I've upgraded to a 4K screen, even the photos taken in perfect conditions look like turds.

graybeard

Except the point is that is a great camera for a phone.

So don't be so pedantic.
Oh really? I've yet to hear a single consumer (or even a "prosumer") I've dealt with say that, i.e. "... for a phone". (I'm sure quite a number of peeps here have seen that particular weird look when you haul out expensive equipment and someone near you hauls out their overpriced "cellphone cam" and, together with that look, disparagingly exclaims, "my camera can do anything yours can. You must be nuts paying so much")

genetic

Honorary Master
Oh really? I've yet to hear a single consumer (or even a "prosumer") I've dealt with say that, i.e. "... for a phone". (I'm sure quite a number of peeps here have seen that particular weird look when you haul out expensive equipment and someone near you hauls out their overpriced "cellphone cam" and, together with that look, disparagingly exclaims, "my camera can do anything yours can. You must be nuts paying so much")
Erm, I don't think anyone has experienced that. It's made up in your mind.

KT-B

Honorary Master
What I find annoying is when you are trying to take the photos you are being paid to take - and people with cellphones keep pushing in front of you because they want their "shot" too

Hamster

Resident Rodent
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/contests/photo-contest-2015/gallery/winners-all/1/

1" point and shoot baby! Most people with a camera (DSLR, mirrorless, whatever) have no clue what they are doing anyway. It is the photographer and their photoshop skills at the end of the day. But then if this same guy had a full frame on the day and got the same shot with it...

Anyway, since we're listing our annoyances: anybody with a cellphone capturing video/photos for the entire duration of a concert. Why are you even there?

Swa

Honorary Master
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/contests/photo-contest-2015/gallery/winners-all/1/

1" point and shoot baby! Most people with a camera (DSLR, mirrorless, whatever) have no clue what they are doing anyway. It is the photographer and their photoshop skills at the end of the day. But then if this same guy had a full frame on the day and got the same shot with it...

Anyway, since we're listing our annoyances: anybody with a cellphone capturing video/photos for the entire duration of a concert. Why are you even there?
To capture video/photos for the entire duration of the concert?

saor

Honorary Master
Video they'll probably never watch again.

milomak

Honorary Master
but of course a dslr is better. is there any one that says otherwise?

but would i have been buying a dslr camera rather than the ones my phone replaced?

no one was buying a dslr