Why an SSD is a must-have for everyone in 2017

Gekco

Expert Member
And for those that do not use a PC for Gaming? Where is the depth in this article?

Petec

Expert Member
An SSD, is perfectly permissible. "An's" are not exclusively used before vowels only.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
I'm battling to get hold of a mini-SATA adaptor in Cape Town, to replace my optical drive on the laptop with the SSD. Any ideas.

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
I'm battling to get hold of a mini-SATA adaptor in Cape Town, to replace my optical drive on the laptop with the SSD. Any ideas.

mini-SATA to SATA is a very difficult thing to get hold of, at least it was for me when switching a Sony Vaio to SSD a while back.

Try see if Southbit Data Recovery will sell or give you an adapter. The standard is long dead and the easy thing to do is just splice the wires on to a bigger connector.

http://www.southbit.co.za/

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
mini-SATA to SATA is a very difficult thing to get hold of, at least it was for me when switching a Sony Vaio to SSD a while back.

Try see if Southbit Data Recovery will sell or give you an adapter. The standard is long dead and the easy thing to do is just splice the wires on to a bigger connector.

http://www.southbit.co.za/

Thanks. I'll try them. You're right, it is difficult (in SA, not USA), which is strange considering how convenient and helpful the upgrade is.

DominionZA

Executive Member
And for those that do not use a PC for Gaming? Where is the depth in this article?
The article states applications, gaming and general overall performance. With some detail on gaming later.

I absolutely refuse to own a machine that does not have an SSD - and while I do game, I do a lot more non gaming stuff.

Laptop 1: 2 x 128GB SSD in Raid 0 + 1TB HDD.
Laptop 2: 500GB mSata SSD + 2TB HDD.
Desktop: 500GB NVMe for Windows and apps. 750GB SSD for games only. 256GB : No use as yet - empty, and a 4TB HDD.

Cannot live without the performance boost. Its that big.

ponder

Honorary Master
A ssd is a nice to have but on a gaming pc for example I would still pump funds into a better GPU & CPU. The only thing a ssd does is affect boot & load times and in the case of games like gta v for example the load times don't improve by much with a ssd.

Samsung SM863 ssd,
attachment.php

Older OCZ Agility 3 ssd,
attachment.php

Western Digital Blue mechanical HDD,
attachment.php

Last edited:

DominionZA

Executive Member
If you want to be more productive on your PC, an SSD is an essential upgrade.

Its like saying a GPU is a nice to have in a gaming machine. On board gfx should suffice just fine.

Really people...