Why are all new cars so slow?

InternetSwag

Expert Member
I was looking at the new 2021 Opel Corsa, and it looks really nice. But its so slow. All the new cars seem to be between 49-59kw even if they 1.4l Polo Vivo is 55kw. Why so slow? It's like you have to spend double the price to get something 'fast'. If I look at older cars from 2010-2016 they seem to be faster. So what if you like this Opel Corsa 2021 but you had an older Corsa that had 85kw... you get a slower car? It's only really the figo that seems to have some power.
7145614_5.jpg

Also regarding the Hyundai Grand i10.
7079320_6.jpg

Why does the dash look like that? I know these are well liked cars so there must be a reason? It looks super big for no clear reason.
Why is there so much empty space between the screen and the gauges.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well the Vivo is an entry level car, most of the polos with that 1.4 engine have had 55kw since way back on the Type 9N polo in 2002.
Also cars today have smaller engines for the environment, less emissions. Though most are going turbo. My little 900c pushes out 66kw,sure it's less then the 1.6 Cruze it replaced, but the body is smaller and lighter and the gearing is better.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Do you mean slow in terms of straight line speed, or “slow” in terms of power? Two different things. The 1.0 turbos on the Polos for example are pretty nippy, but many would classify as slow for most (me included).

The power output numbers you have listed there seem to be numbers of naturally aspirated engines. Cheaper, more reliable, and still popular in SA.

That infotainment/instrument cluster looks bad. It’s the trend now though. Case in point, current generation Mercedes Benz.

Reactions: rh1

FiestaST

Honorary Master
For point 1) you're comparing (almost) entry level "poverty" spec cars. Widen your scope & compare vs years gone by. Then come post back. You will see cars on the whole have actually got faster! Across various segments.

For point 2) 3rd world countries getting shafted. The Euroland models have a pretty nice wider infotainment screen. We're get ours from India & that generally means knocked down a bit on standard kit/spec & a decent amount on safety forgone.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I was looking at the new 2021 Opel Corsa, and it looks really nice. But its so slow. All the new cars seem to be between 49-59kw even if they 1.4l Polo Vivo is 55kw. Why so slow? It's like you have to spend double the price to get something 'fast'. If I look at older cars from 2010-2016 they seem to be faster. So what if you like this Opel Corsa 2021 but you had an older Corsa that had 85kw... you get a slower car? It's only really the figo that seems to have some power.
7145614_5.jpg

Also regarding the Hyundai Grand i10.
7079320_6.jpg

Why does the dash look like that? I know these are well liked cars so there must be a reason? It looks super big for no clear reason.

Slow as in can't go fast or slow as slow to accelerate?

And the dash, what do you put into the space? It's "big" to accommodate the screen somewhere I assume... and you need to put something in the space between screen and gauges... plastic or air or...?

Splinter

Honorary Master
It's fine if you don't get it

Forgive me, but as someone with a modicum of intelligence, I do need to see a line of causality in what you are attempting to say.

I don't speak stupid; hence I don't get it.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Forgive me, but as someone with a modicum of intelligence, I do need to see a line of causality in what you are attempting to say.

Sure, it's also fine with me.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Consumers suck it up, so manufacturers won't change.

Supercarfan

To accommodate the big screens that the european spec models can option...