Why can't I add a switch to my router?

Tavor

Please consider me as knowing virtually zilch about networking. Explain to me like I am a child (although most children would know this stuff)

I have an ASUS DSL-AC68U modem/router that I use for fiber. It does not have a standalone Ethernet WAN port. So I have configured one of my LAN ports as an Ethernet WAN port.
That works fine...no probs.
But it uses one port. Smart TV uses another port. One DSTV decoder uses another port. And I have an IP camera that uses the last port.

Now I have just installed a full Paradox security system, with an IP150 that uses one of the ports, so had to lost the camera.
And I have a network camera system coming that will use a port too.
So I need more ports.

I have a 4 port POE switch that was going to be used for the cameras, but figured I would use it as a switch for now, and test out adding ports. I assume POE will only kick in if needed, otherwise it should act as a regular switch?

So leaving the WAN port alone, I connect a cable from the switch to one of the ports on the router. Now as far as I know, that should act like a splitter...I should be able to plug anything into any of the ports on the switch?
But no...that light on the router remains off...and nothing will work in any of the ports of the switch.

I took the cable from the router to the uplink port on the switch, still nothing. Anything I plug in to the switch isn't working. Tried other cables, nothing. Crossover cable..nothing.
Switch is new, it should work?

What am I doing wrong?
PON to router WAN port. Router out to TV, decoder etc. Should be able to go out from router to switch, and use any of the switch ports to add more stuff?
Is there any settings on the router I am missing?
Should I just buy a regular non POE switch and try the same thing I am doing now?

Thanks in advance.

Btw, switch is a Dahua 4 port POE switch plus 2 x uplink ports.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Sounds like the switch is poked.
You did power it up, right?

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
Some poe switches are passive rather than active and can blow **** up

Other poe switches only power up when there is active poe load on the port

Just try a dumb switch

Tavor

Thanks guys. Have placed an order for a non-POE switch and see if that helps. 4 Router ports is definitely not enough in today's age of security systems and decoders and cameras etc.
So a switch plugged into a router should extend the number of ports without any router settings at all.
Will update when I try another switch.