Why Cape Town wants to make big changes to electricity tariffs

colin001

Discrimination!

Now our middle class faces discrimination, especially if a property is valued at over R1 million.

We were begged by the municipality to save electricity when the big load shedding crisis was going on. We are rewarded with higher, extortionate tariffs. This is the thanks we get. I am a pensioner and my power bill is set to increase by about 250% per month. It's not right and it's not fair and not affordable!

Maybe it is time to find an alternative to the DA-led council?

This City works for itself!

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
Hang on... so if you spend your own cash to go green, you could be penalised for the little Eskom you use? Any incentives to go green in this model?

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Now our middle class faces discrimination, especially if a property is valued at over R1 million.

We were begged by the municipality to save electricity when the big load shedding crisis was going on. We are rewarded with higher, extortionate tariffs. This is the thanks we get. I am a pensioner and my power bill is set to increase by about 250% per month. It's not right and it's not fair and not affordable!

Maybe it is time to find an alternative to the DA-led council?

This City works for itself!

How much is your usage per month? If you used 599kWh (plus) on Lifeline then you would see your bill increase by R200 if you are put on Home User.

As a pensioner you can also apply for assistance from the City Of Cape Town in reducing your rates and taxes and looking at putting you on Lifeline.

While the DA run CoCT is not perfect, just go visit the other metros and see what happens when the only other option (ANC) runs a city.

Also worth getting to know your local ward councilor and holding them accountable, its their job and I do it all the time.

d0b33

Honorary Master

I would just sell the property and buy a sectional title. New developments happening with more energy efficient installations.

Gnome

Executive Member
How much is your usage per month? If you used 599kWh (plus) on Lifeline then you would see your bill increase by R200 if you are put on Home User.

As a pensioner you can also apply for assistance from the City Of Cape Town in reducing your rates and taxes and looking at putting you on Lifeline.

While the DA run CoCT is not perfect, just go visit the other metros and see what happens when the only other option (ANC) runs a city.

Also worth getting to know your local ward councilor and holding them accountable, its their job and I do it all the time.

LOL, I lived in Pretoria for a long time.
Now I've lived in Cape Town for 5+ years.

DA does nothing for me here. Literally nothing.
At this point I would vote for another party if they offered to kill these DA led electricity and water charges.

Property tax in Cape Town is crazy already and they keep just piling on.

Everyones-a-Wally

Honorary Master
LOL, I lived in Pretoria for a long time.
Now I've lived in Cape Town for 5+ years.

DA does nothing for me here. Literally nothing.
At this point I would vote for another party if they offered to kill these DA led electricity and water charges.

Property tax in Cape Town is crazy already and they keep just piling on.

What do you pay per kWh?

akescpt

Honorary Master
The baastids are just milking us more and more. Just *** man. It's becoming obvious that all they care about is money. Home ownership costs are just spiraling out of control. Once water is not a problem what happens to these high tariffs?

DeShizz

Yeah seconding the above, plus:

Does this apply to Stellenbosch? Surely they are different municipalities with different budgets etc.?
How do I find out the property value if it's an apartment and I'm just leasing? Do I have to worry?

I have used 144 Kwh since February to date, that works out to about 57.6 Kwh a month. I think that's fair. I don't want to spend another 250 a month, that's like 5 times what I spend on electricity to begin with.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
The article promised to explain the increase but it seems to favour the higher users (>600kWh) over the lower uses, which is the opposite of what's supposed to be incentivised. That doesn't make sense at all.

I do think CoCT does a better job of budgeting and spending than the other municipalities. I don't like them (their delays in giving us fibre servitudes were criminally slow and I don't think my councillor knows what the internet is) but I appreciate the overall plan. Investing in poorer areas is actually better for us all (except that it encourages inward migration from other regions).

phoneJunky

Executive Member
The article promised to explain the increase but it seems to favour the higher users (>600kWh) over the lower uses, which is the opposite of what's supposed to be incentivised. That doesn't make sense at all.

I do think CoCT does a better job of budgeting and spending than the other municipalities. I don't like them (their delays in giving us fibre servitudes were criminally slow and I don't think my councillor knows what the internet is) but I appreciate the overall plan. Investing in poorer areas is actually better for us all (except that it encourages inward migration from other regions).
It probably got to the point where people were saving so much it is starting to hurt the maintenance of the grid.
Yeah seconding the above, plus:

Does this apply to Stellenbosch? Surely they are different municipalities with different budgets etc.?
How do I find out the property value if it's an apartment and I'm just leasing? Do I have to worry?

I have used 144 Kwh since February to date, that works out to about 57.6 Kwh a month. I think that's fair. I don't want to spend another 250 a month, that's like 5 times what I spend on electricity to begin with.

If your average spend is really that, I would go off grid.

http://www.sustainable.co.za/solar-...off-grid-solar-kits.html?solar_array_peak=997

is the easiest to link to now, but there are cheaper options if you build up your own kit. I haven't done mine, but when I considered, my usage I also got down to as low as yours and it didn't make any sense. But if I had an additional service charge on mine like Cpt and Jhb I would. Tshwane doesn't charge an extra service charge.

Cpt Kirk

It probably got to the point where people were saving so much it is starting to hurt the maintenance of the grid.

If your average spend is really that, I would go off grid.

http://www.sustainable.co.za/solar-...off-grid-solar-kits.html?solar_array_peak=997

is the easiest to link to now, but there are cheaper options if you build up your own kit. I haven't done mine, but when I considered, my usage I also got down to as low as yours and it didn't make any sense. But if I had an additional service charge on mine like Cpt and Jhb I would. Tshwane doesn't charge an extra service charge.

I suspect going completely off grid won't stop the City from charging you because it will say its collecting for the availability of electricity.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
I suspect going completely off grid won't stop the City from charging you because it will say its collecting for the availability of electricity.

My suspicion too, which is why my new house build has never had a council electrical connection installed. Going to be hard to charge without actually providing the infrastructure.

noxibox

Honorary Master
My suspicion too, which is why my new house build has never had a council electrical connection installed. Going to be hard to charge without actually providing the infrastructure.
If they have no electrical infrastructure in the street, then you might not be charged, otherwise they can and probably will charge you. Because the fee is not for the connection from the street onto your property, but for the public infrastructure that makes a connection onto your particular property possible.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
If they have no electrical infrastructure in the street, then you might not be charged, otherwise they can and probably will charge you. Because the fee is not for the connection from the street onto your property, but for the public infrastructure that makes a connection onto your particular property possible.

Hmm, if that is the case it would be bad. At least in Jhb you don't have to pay the R220 if you don't connect to the grid