Why companies want employees back in the office

maumau

Honorary Master
WFH is much more efficient where I work.

We went from orders being dispatched 2 days after receipt (and if a quotation was involved 3/4 days) to orders leaving the same day.

Calls are answered within 2/3 rings - whoever's available picks up.

Two people retired and our driver is superfluous because everything goes by courier now but we all voted to keep him on. A loyal staff member for 10 years - it's not his fault COVID hit.

..... but we're all on 75% salaries and that looks as if it won't change for the foreseeable future :crying:

cyb3rt

An office you still get to walk around and socialize etc.
That right there is the problem. I work FAR less when at the office as we constantly get bothered by people physically walking in with stuff and / or wanting to have a chit chat.

Bottom line is, WFH will work for some, and not for others. For me, it works perfectly and my productivity is much higher. Pity our executive team would probably just say 'everyone back to the office' very soon. A much better approach would be to evaluate each department separately and get a model that works for them and the work that they do specifically.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Yes ‘working’. Without measuring metrics that matter, it’s just a guessing game.
The metrics are your deliverables. Anybody using something like Jira would understand that delivery is easily trackable.

If a company can't measure their employees' performance at home, chances are they probably didn't do it properly at the office either.

Unless we consider archaic practices such as monitoring time spent sitting in a chair as an effective measurement of productivity...

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
The metrics are your deliverables. Anybody using something like Jira would understand that delivery is easily trackable.

If a company can't measure their employees' performance at home, chances are they probably didn't do it properly at the office either.

Unless we consider archaic practices such as monitoring time spent sitting in a chair as an effective measurement of productivity...
Like I said it can easily become a case of completing the deliverable as the goal.
That number goes up while the progress to a target(milestone) crawls.

Assuming more hours put in, means more progress which isn’t the reality.

Genisys

Honorary Master
That is the sad reality of it. There is this conception that people work slower from home, but there is no indication on whether or not the work is also more difficult. People might be taking on harder/more work which will in turn slow them down.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Like I said it can easily become a case of completing the deliverable as the goal.
That number goes up while the progress to a target(milestone) crawls.

Assuming more hours put in, means more progress which isn’t the reality.
That speaks to a different issue. If your resources are meeting their targets, but milestones are not being met, the issue is poor planning and/or project management...

Arzy

Honorary Master
Yeah, I'd dispute those studies purely based on what I'm experiencing in my small segment of the market.

If anyone really believes that there's going to be a huge return to the big corporates they just need to take a drive around Sandton. Tons of buildings advertising vacancies in their windows with incentives now up to 150% of the first year rental as allowances. My wife's office just renegotiated their lease down by 70% just so they'd stay for 3 years.

The big firms are giving up space at an alarming rate. They keep the naming rights to their buildings but give entire floors back to the landlords to try and fill again.

Then you also have the corporates who aren't shy to announce this:

Kawak

The first set of companies listed are all investment banks, I feel they have vested interest in the business real estate market not to let them crash, tech companies have always had a hybrid work system and policy so 5hey will never be fully "at the office", I see everyone moving to a hybrid model where possible.
WFH is much more efficient where I work.

We went from orders being dispatched 2 days after receipt (and if a quotation was involved 3/4 days) to orders leaving the same day.

Calls are answered within 2/3 rings - whoever's available picks up.

Two people retired and our driver is superfluous because everything goes by courier now but we all voted to keep him on. A loyal staff member for 10 years - it's not his fault COVID hit.

..... but we're all on 75% salaries and that looks as if it won't change for the foreseeable future :crying:
Reduced salaries are the only problem now, fact is, none of my clients are doing superbly well, and I know as they use my systems and generally requires some help with their reports etc, see it as a lesser of two evils, I'm just glad I didn't need to lay off anyone. On average, we took 25%, higher earners took a bigger knock.

Busy turning my offices into a shared workspace, I don't see us using that entire space anymore.

now05ster

Expert Member
Thankfully our regional offices have decreased in size/some done away with as WFH has been embraced. Our work is very well measured and audited, though.

WFH makes sense for most employees.

TheTraveler

Hoping for a list of SA (tech) companies that will support remote working so I can apply there.

Dreading going back to the office.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I find it a little hard to believe companies would want their employees back in the office if lockdown had proven them to be more productive working from home.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Strangely enough I would love to work in a cubicle, they have had this open plan office thing since I've been working for 20 years now.
Never had a cubicle, at most a little division between desks.
I don't know. Going to an office or push me into my little corner desk makes me feel like pushing me back into a box. I fear the 'box'. Don't do that to me.
My whole life I try to get out of that "box" and box mindset they freaking brainwash you since school. I left school at 13 and spent most of my time drawing on the computer and doing house plans and kitchen plans because at school they put you in a box. Then I went back to school when I was 17/18 to do a matric because that is what the "box" required. However matric was not helpful if you didn't have money for studies. So what now. A friend introduced me to the internet (which was a luxury back then) and I started working online straight out of school. Ironically I lived in a little box, lol. Aka what was known as the "maids room" back then with an outside toilet, borrowed someone iBurst and my PC. The next couple of years it was fighting to get out of that poverty mindset (which I still sometimes struggle with in my thinking). Your family was poor, their family was poor, you don't have a degree, you gonna be poor. blah blah blah. Anyways, a decade later and still having no degree, I am now thinking of buying a house or go live a retired live in the midlands (working online still). But then sometimes I still get scared of the box. What if things don't work out. What if I have to go find a job like everyone else and go sit in a box. Hell no! Ek is poef bang vir die boksie. :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Dinosaurs who don't know how to manage in the new age. They still want "to see you working". Don't know how to measure performance if they can't see you working...
My company is top heavy, with the severe case of "bums in seats" management. Since Covid hit they've struggled because they can't quite come to terms with managing deliverables, instead of people.

Right now I don't know what is worse, going into the office - or the several "status update/standup/check-in" meetings a day that I'm forced to attend.