Why companies want employees back in the office

Little Mac

Honorary Master
I use Zoho Projects to manage and keeping track of projects and the various stages. Employees get a task and then they just record time against that task. It shows how many days they have to complete it etc. There is really no way for them to sit and do nothing as there is a deadline and if they don't complete the task others wont be able to continue. So things just keep on flowing.

View attachment 1118724

And then I can also add a checklist to each task that has to be fully complete. That way there is little room for error or worrying if they will leave something out.

View attachment 1118726

Making the checking when something has to go to council so much easier.

If you are in the IT industry this is even more applicable and there should be ZERO reason to have them all put into a single room. To do what?

I would imagine a billion dollar company to have an even better system in place.
Your project list reads like the Sims startup.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The major issue for most companies is cyber security... if not yet, for the future. You have little to no control or monitoring over the home environment.
We don’t have that issue. Our systems were all already remotely accessible and as with my previous job you can’t connect anything to the system that hasn’t been vetted and monitored by the security people. Working in the office or from some other location is basically the same thing.

And the thing is that companies like Apple, Google, Facebook etc. must already have the security infrastructure in place anyway.

Plenty of other companies that can easily do the same.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
We don’t have that issue. Our systems were all already remotely accessible and as with my previous job you can’t connect anything to the system that hasn’t been vetted and monitored by the security people. Working in the office or from some other location is basically the same thing.

And the thing is that companies like Apple, Google, Facebook etc. must already have the security infrastructure in place anyway.

Plenty of other companies that can easily do the same.
No doubt bigger firms (in the minority in SA) do this.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Unfortunately this is a problem for some. I have my on office at home, where I can shut the door if need be during meetings. But not everyone has that - but there are ways to work around that I believe.

I think parents have it worse; kids around the house all day (when not in school) can be an issue.
I don’t have a separate room.

With young children it can be a little tricky, but frankly at worst it is no more distracting than the typical office environment. At worst I can ask them to go play outside. I don’t see coworkers responding well to being told to go outside.

I can’t fathom how office designers have become so delusional that they think everyone sitting cheek by jowl trying to do work that requires concentration is somehow a good idea.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I can’t fathom how office designers have become so delusional that they think everyone sitting cheek by jowl trying to do work that requires concentration is somehow a good idea.
Office designers and office managers are among those in a panic. Their roles will soon be made redundant.

Even in a hybrid scenario, there's no need for them. We've been told that our offices will operate at no more than 40% capacity going forward. If want to work at the office, you need to book a slot. So in addition to it being optional, they've added some admin to it which is enough to discourage me from going in.

No need for office managers if people can choose whether they want go in...

R13...

Honorary Master
Office designers and office managers are among those in a panic. Their roles will soon be made redundant.

Even in a hybrid scenario, there's no need for them. We've been told that our offices will operate at no more than 40% capacity going forward. If want to work at the office, you need to book a slot. So in addition to it being optional, they've added some admin to it which is enough to discourage me from going in.

No need for office managers if people can choose whether they want go in...
But office managers do more than work that requires they be in the office. Our team assistants function fine remotely. They're assistants and office managers in the old fashion. They do help in keeping the team together actually.

Dimpie (COMPUTEK)

Executive Member
Was there not an article not to long ago that said companies want their employees to wfh on a more permanent basis? ... Now it's the opposite again :unsure:

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
But office managers do more than work that requires they be in the office. Our team assistants function fine remotely. They're assistants and office managers in the old fashion. They do help in keeping the team together actually.
That's just giving them a handout to avoid having to let them go. Sooner or later the reality will hit, you don't actually need them.

PMs can coordinate the work just fine and bring together whichever team members need to be there to get a deliverable out.

Without the physical interaction, there's no need to keep a team together. You'll get on just fine with whoever you need to remotely...

Lupus

Honorary Master

Apparently people remote working affect the economy in other ways, like not buying lattes or using the subway.

Thor

Honorary Master
There is far more at our office that prevents us from getting work done. People constantly just walking up to your desk and asking for help or information or something that would be a far better request as an email or IM where it can be dealt with when it doesn't interrupt the persons concentration. That is the beauty of working at home. When I am "in the zone" there is no one to break me out of it like there is constantly at the office.

We started hitting more bi-weekly development milestones when we started working form home a year ago, and at our annual reviews all the devs had improved (using actual metrics) on their previous years performance reviews.

It wasn't like that across the company, but in any department where concentration was key, working from home always showed a more positive output. Roles where talking to people and ticking boxes were the main action (call centre, sales, field operations) a decline in performance was observed and they had to return to the office.

This, productivity increased 4 fold.

And I solely contribute it to less distraction as we had a open office plan, so devs are constantly interrupted by k@k, now we mute our phones and check email when we have time.

Remaining in the zone, much longer.

We've shipped 4 times as many updates as we've done before.

now05ster

Expert Member
Got an email yesterday where my company is selling the office chairs to the employees post the WFH push. R200 a chair.

I'm happy with my standing desk.