Why Cybersmart limits its LightSpeed fibre to 400Mbps

henry1103

so does this mean a consumer with top of the range hardware are able to reach 1gbps on their 400mbps package?

Nomadman

so does this mean a consumer with top of the range hardware are able to reach 1gbps on their 400mbps package?

No because you are subscribed to a 400mbps line
in order to reach 1gbps you need to subscribe to a 1gbps line, you need a network card that supports it as well as a router that supports a 1gbps all this over a LAN cable and not via wifi. Secondly all hardware after your home connection need to support 1gbps including the servers used to run the speed test

kianm

Honorary Master
Makes sense. Customers not knowing that little 10/100 switch or that Powerline AV extender or their 802.11g AP in the other corner of the house is their enemy. 5Ghz is a must now

mister

Executive Member
That's actually pretty smart I reckon.

I think it's lame. They could produce a professionally written document explaining the client side limitations if a client opts for 1Gbps, including information on how to do a multi threaded speed test.

ponder

Honorary Master
I think it's lame. They could produce a professionally written document explaining the client side limitations if a client opts for 1Gbps, including information on how to do a multi threaded speed test.

Average joe is either not going to read it or understand it.

I just had a look at their site and what they call a 400Mbs service is actually a 200/200Mbs service so you only going to get 200Mb/s downloads...

Jimmy-Z

Average joe is either not going to read it or understand it.

I just had a look at their site and what they call a 400Mbs service is actually a 200/200Mbs service so you only going to get 200Mb/s downloads...

From what I understand, you can also switch it to 400/10 or any ratio adding up to 400mb

zAAm

He said GPON has the drawback of being a contended network, because a single fibre feed is used to serve multiple homes or apartments in an area

Anyone who knows the technology behind GPON will know this is very misleading. It is only contended if you oversubscribe the sum of the available bandwidth. And actually, I can promise you Cybersmart oversubscribes their customers at the other end of the point to point fibre anyway, so this is a stupid statement to make.

Cloud

Expert Member
I have this connection and can confirm that setting it to 400 either up or down results in the other side being 10 mbps max.

I use mine at 350 down / 50 up and find this to be plenty. You need to use proper hardware though, I have an AC router but even on my wireless N dongles I can hit 100mbps on NZB and about 220 mbps on local Steam downloads.

The AC devices hit the 300 odd mbps on Speedtest as advertised. We have 54 units in our complex and about 20 connections to Lightspeed and I have not noticed the contention yet.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
What a lame excuse for limiting the line speed! Instead of explaining to the customer how things work, they arbitrarily decide to limit the maximum speeds to what they think the customer is likely to peak at anyway. just another way to disguise the in built contention ratio they will be offering their customer base!

Punishing the top end users as usual.

access

Honorary Master
really?

"some people dont know their equipment, therefor we shall sell everybody this! may the ignorant pave the way ahead!" :crylaugh:

haha, yet you can get 1gbps services elsewhere and people use them fine. oh and the isp sells them gigabit equipment and confirm the rest of the equipment at the subscriber. must be too hard for cybersmart. lol.

their "contention" is enforced, they slow you down once you've hit a certain amount within a certain timeframe. seen it.