Why do folks drink non-alcoholic beer?

crack2483

Probably thesame reason people vape or drink diet sodas?

You are either trying to avoid sugar or alcohol or the bad things in sigarette smoke like tar, but still want a similar taste satisfaction.

I've tried a few non alcoholic beers when my wife was pregnant. Most were overly malty and sweet, but you do get some OK ones.
Vaping still delivers the nicotine fix.

Tastes better than water or coke etc, and although I'd love to drink real beer all day there's a certain stigma attached to it for some bizarre reason.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Why do you, or why would you have to, drink non-alcoholic beer?

This is branching off from a few posts in another threads not frequented by many...

Note: There already two or three threads about the types of non-alcoholic beer so you are welcome to discuss the various products there. And, yes, all the insults are also in those threads so please don't feel the urge to repeat them here...
Mate of mine is an alcoholic. He goes to AA and is more than a year sober now. All the rest of us (his friends) support him in this, as alcohol was destroying his life. But, he still hangs out with us, at the pub, and he drinks non-alcoholic beers there.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
In a society where alcohol is not only socially acceptable but forms part of the recipe for a good time (as stated by spar's "party packs" amongst others) I think the real question should be why do folks drink?

Slootvreter

Honorary Master
No. Beer with no alcohol is not beer. Beer flavoured cooldrink is disgusting.

Imagine brandy and Coke flavoured cooldrinks. No man.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I like beer, but like everything else - enjoy it in moderation.
And sometimes during a working lunch, you still want to stay sharp, but enjoy something better than a coke.
Cobra Zero FTW!

Taste.
Brewed & not some flavored syrup crap.
The idea of drinking a beer.
This I get, but I don't like the taste of beer. I drink it to get pissed. Same with any other type of alcohol. After the first 2 you don't taste shyte anymore and it's all good. Drinking alcohol free will mean having to taste that foul taste on each and every beer?

saor

Honorary Master
Drinking alcohol free will mean having to taste that foul taste on each and every beer?
I enjoy the taste of beer - especially craft beer...don't mind the taste of regular beer either. It's preferable to me than a sweet soda.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
I know a few people who are addicts who know their triggers and therefore avoid alcohol.

Why should people like this not enjoy a beer? Erdigner makes a very robust 0%.

tRoN

Executive Member
Thread necro.

So how do they get the alcohol out? Or is it just flavoring added to water?

It’s big in the Middle East.

Also currently which brand tastes closest to the real thing?

saor

Honorary Master
Thread necro.

So how do they get the alcohol out? Or is it just flavoring added to water?

It’s big in the Middle East.

Also currently which brand tastes closest to the real thing?
https://gizmodo.com/the-science-of-non-alcoholic-beer-509674407

The Castle zero is decent.
Clausthaler is decent.
Bavaria is slightly sweeter - kinda malty.
Some stores sell cans (some imported stuff from germany) that's quite good, can't recall the name.
Becks - eh, kinda boring.
Devils Peak 0% - ugh.

Eti1

Expert Member
The best one I have tried is Castle Zero, it's dam close imo. Others like Becks and Bavaria are far too sweet.