Why Do (so few) South Africans Jailbreak?

ahoudet

Expert Member
Jailbroke a client's 3GS... The phone wouldn't turn on and was constantly on the Apple logo so I restored it. What the user never knew (phone was a gift and she wasn't technologically advanced) was that the phone was locked to AT&T and had been previously jailbroken. So jailbroke again to activate the phone, upgraded to iPad baseband and unlocked with ultrasn0w. That's gonna be the only jailbreak tweak installed on that phone anyway - many people just don't know what to do with a jailbroken iPhone:D

Shellyb1

Expert Member
I jailbreak most times but not always, happy to restore to stock but find that I miss some of the basic tweaks. Here are some that I am running and really make things work even better under ios7. swipeSelection I cannot live without anymore. :) ImageUploadedByMyBroadband Tapatalk1398059687.193224.jpg

I don't pirate apps and use it to tweak only.

I think most people don't know how cool some of these tweaks really are and how how easy they make things.

Jailbreaking does require the user to be a little tech savvy because tweaks can cause crashes, although my current batch seems quite stable.

grim

Expert Member
In fact, to me it makes perfect sense that only the minority would jailbreak stuff - the super geek power users. The average guy just doesn't give a **** and is happy with the way the damn device works.

This.

It's also not only here that it's the very small minority of users that jailbreak/root their devices

sand_man

Honorary Master
Me...

rXl38YU.png

dKbjUUB.png

k3k3p4w.png

6W1iA9c.png

Hemps

Honorary Master
Jailbreak to find some new tweaks and test some apps for my kid as they can be pricey sometimes especially the puzzle's.

But just don't feel the need anymore.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
No need. My Android phone used to be rooted... then the new OS came rendering the need to root obsolete. The stuff works without root access now and stock ROM

Tsepz_GP

Expert Member
I just don't see the point, I've got all that I want and need already, same with my Android, I find it pointless to Root for the same reason. Had this been 4-5years ago, I'd be Jailbreaking/Rooting and modding for hours, but I've simply gotten over it now.

Dolby

Honorary Master
AS iOS is taking ideas from Android, it is becoming less needed ;)

If you remember only 2 years back it was quite a backward OS with a number of flaws that needed to be overcome. But I think with iOS 7+ they're starting to learn what is actually wanted in a proper OS, implementing it and therefore less people need to JB.

I'd be extremely interested to know from this informed Forum the reasons why so few South Africans jailbreak their iOS devices - especially iPhone's?

For me, my primary reason is the Cydia app: BiteSMS and the ability to schedule sms's.

View attachment 111682

Because the majority of iPhone owners are not technically inclined.

Seems the more you know schit, the further you want to stay away from iCrap.

In other words, you buy an iPhone, you suck balls. :D

R13...

Honorary Master
Because the majority of iPhone owners are not technically inclined.

Seems the more you know schit, the further you want to stay away from iCrap.

In other words, you buy an iPhone, you suck balls. :D

No more than the majority of fandroids.

blender

I work for a medium size, very technical orientated company, and the split seems to be about 50/50 for iPhone / Android.

I myself would classify myself as very technical, knowing many different programming languages and platforms, and I prefer an iPhone.

Think the more technical / Android perception is a bit of a myth. Perhaps we need a poll?

Last edited:

Hemps

Honorary Master
Yeah but you can't install moviebox like the OP and there is nothing else out there like it :erm:

MovieBox, I have heard about this.

What can you do with it?

Can you download movies?