Why does it take so long to get items off Ebay in SA? Is this also the case in other countries?

I generally buy inexpensive items like phone cases and screen protectors from Ebay as you can often get 5 for the price of one that a South African shop would sell it for.

The wait is just a pain, if I get my item in 6 weeks, it is actually soon. I generally wait 6-8 weeks and the longest was 4 months. These are generally inexpensive items and there were a few times when I did not even get the item. Thankfully, the sellers are always more than ready to give refunds (it probably happens often).

Why exactly is the waiting period so long?

To those who have bought in other countries, does the same thing also happen there?

Been doing it for over 10yrs including Bid Or Buy
Blame the South African Postal Department :thumbsup:
Does it happen in other countries though as well? If so, I would forgive them. I also buy from Bid or Buy, Loot, Takelot and Superbalist. Never had a problem and delivery is generally within 2-3 days to me.

Chuckmyster

Expert Member
Does it happen in other countries though as well? If so, I would forgive them. I also buy from Bid or Buy, Loot, Takelot and Superbalist. Never had a problem and delivery is generally within 2-3 days to me.
I have noticed that when i do get a tracking number it arrives in JHB after about a week or two of placing my order, and there it sits, no movement for over a month, sometimes 2 months, and then all of a sudden it starts moving to Cape Town and ready for my collection after another week.
I stopped using eBay about 4 years ago and only use bid or buy still (often, 3 or 4 times a year on overseas goods)

GoB

Expert Member
3rd world countries I'm sure are similar, but what's the point in knowing? It won't change soon.

Consolidated courier shipping is one option, but is still expensive on a small scale.

Eventually courier fees should be minimal (e.g. starting to become affordable on Amazon), but for the next few decades we'll have to rely on local stock.

I rarely import any longer - usually not to save money, but for things I can't find / be bothered to look for.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
I've been buying loads off eBay, no delivery issues (I'm in the UK)
Most local items I get in 2-3 days with often some stuff next day delivery.
Electronics from China takes about 2 weeks.
Amazon deliveries 2-3 days as well. Tried out prime a few times, love the next day delivery.

I've been buying loads off eBay, no delivery issues (I'm in the UK)
Most local items I get in 2-3 days with often some stuff next day delivery.
Electronics from China takes about 2 weeks.
Amazon deliveries 2-3 days as well. Tried out prime a few times, love the next day delivery.
Usually local deliveries in SA take 2-3 days as well. I was referring more to international imports especially those from China.