Why does my W10 PC take twenty minutes plus to boot?

agentrfr

Expert Member
Something sounds wrong there. It could be malware

Reinstall your junk, then decrapify windows

Boot time should be <15 seconds

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
W10 is perfect. Never has any issues. All issues are user error. Beep Beep.

lowriderza

Zoomzoom is stuck in an infinite loop it seems
Yeah I shouldn't be so snarky it's natural to remember mostly the good side of things. Look at the past with Rose tinted glasses and all that.

But all software has always had quirks, even simple old DOS could be an arsehole.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
View attachment 700065My Ssd seems fine, windows or mb boot!
How long ago did the issue arise? Is this a new thing/ or did it happen last night?
Last nights update {KB 4512508) related to issue with Remote Desktop. The update was longer than usual, but still completed within 30 minutes and required a restart. (2Mbps ADSL connection).
Have you done the checks already suggested?
Do you regularly do the required updates or are you blocking them from happening?

WIN 10 Pro or WIN 10 Home? Version 1903 or earlier?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
How long ago did the issue arise? Is this a new thing/ or did it happen last night?
Last nights update {KB 4512508) related to issue with Remote Desktop. The update was longer than usual, but still completed within 30 minutes and required a restart. (2Mbps ADSL connection).
Do you regularly do the required updates or are you blocking them from happening?

Mine took about a minute install/restart on a SATA 3 SSD, Samsung 850 Evo. :confused:

beans100

Honorary Master
I see Asus. Is it an AMD CPU?

If it is, disable fastboot in Windows.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
Updated graphic driver..
Unticked fast startup,
Disabled startup proggies...

Rebooted, took forever, did the reboot as per #9 , went to GUI, chose recovery, went into eternal loop....

image.jpg

SureThing

Backup your files and reset windows / disk wipe. :ROFL:

:crying:

Had issues with a brand new dell and that is what Dell Support told me. The issue is fixed now.

It took like 6-8 hours though and you have to reinstall everything.
I'm doing my wipe on a Dell tomorrow. The Dell technician replaced my motherboard and then the pin did not accept. Tried all passwords none accepted. Microsoft live does not work because this was not set up when we received the Dell. Long story short they must wipe and reinstall tomorrow.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master

Been happening for about five months, only started to irritate me recently as I was busy rebooting more than normally...

beans100

Honorary Master
Tried a "sfc /scannow" yet?

I also had an issue, just after 1903 update, where my PC BSOD at least once a day and my wifi dropped few times during the day. After a long search, and trial and error, it turned out to be the Windows defender credential guard. Had to disable that.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Mine took about a minute install/restart on a SATA 3 SSD, Samsung 850 Evo. :confused:
Could have been less associated with last night DL and install. I did a few other sw related updates at the same time before allowing the restart.

Mortymoose

Honorary Master
image.jpgWell here is something I forgot, :X3::X3::X3:

I disabled the updates last year, let me figure out how to restart them....

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Striiiiiike One!

User related issue: 1
Windows 10 issue: 0

(Especially for the benefit of ZoomZoom)

That is before the 1803 to 1903 upgrade. The updates have been building up like the blocked drain I have to deal with tomorrow.
You and me both knee-deep in schit tokorrow! :(