Why does telkom's website show VDSL but I have ADSL?

Hey there currently I have an 8Mbps ADSL connection, but I checked to see if my area has fibre yet and came down to this.. 4 Mbps VDSL??? how do they even work out their stuff to show it THIS wrong, so I tried to turn my modem to VDSL and input the correct credentials, it didn't work. Now why does it show VDSL if I can't use VDSL? Do I ask them to switch or do I need to order VDSL or is it just plain simply wrong information? Capture.PNG

netcruiser

You need to switch your line with Telkom from ADSL to VDSL if you want it. But at 4Mbps I doubt it will be worth it to switch. The main advantage of VDSL is that you sometimes can get higher maximum speeds e.g. 40 Mbps.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
ADSL 2MB, 4MB, 8MB,10Mb and 20MB with 1MB Upload.

VDSL 20MB with 5MB Upload and 40MB with * upload.

It's all basically the same thing so they are basically saying your exchange supports VDSL, but you still need to actually be on a package fast enough to make use of it.

They've just bundled it together and sensibly so.

ADSL 2MB, 4MB, 8MB,10Mb and 20MB with 1MB Upload.

VDSL 20MB with 5MB Upload and 40MB with * upload.

It's all basically the same thing so they are basically saying your exchange supports VDSL, but you still need to actually be on a package fast enough to make use of it.

They've just bundled it together and sensibly so.
There won't be any upload benefit if I ask them for that mythical "4mbps VDSL"? But in short the way I understood you right now is: Yes Mr the web app shows the exchange supports VDSL BUT it will only work if your line can handle 20-40Mbps otherwise you will still be on aDSL PPPoE.
Damn I wish SADV's coverage was 300m instead of 250m... i'm at 258m and it's a STRAIGHT dig on one side of the road to my house... BAAHHHHH I even offered them extra if they could do extra 8 meters... not even a reply on SADV's ticket like they're ignoring me, been a week.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
There won't be any upload benefit if I ask them for that mythical "4mbps VDSL"? But in short the way I understood you right now is: Yes Mr the web app shows the exchange supports VDSL BUT it will only work if your line can handle 20-40Mbps otherwise you will still be on aDSL PPPoE.
Damn I wish SADV's coverage was 300m instead of 250m... i'm at 258m and it's a STRAIGHT dig on one side of the road to my house... BAAHHHHH I even offered them extra if they could do extra 8 meters... not even a reply on SADV's ticket like they're ignoring me, been a week.
Correct.

They don’t have a higher upload package at lower speeds.

There is no actually (technical) 4MB VDSL.