• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Why does Windows take 30 mins to show you the contents of your USER folder?

sajunky

Honorary Master
Bit off topic but related
today I tried to write 16 gig Series folder to USB 2 memory stick - took 1 hr 24 min on desktop running Win 10
Same procedure on 8 yr old Netbook running Linux was less than 10 minutes
What is the cause of this ?
It shouldn't do it so long, especially for movies series (large files). It could be couple of things:
- wrongly inserted stick, USB port drops to compatibility mode,
- USB stick batling with relocation. If the area has neven been used before, it will happen once. If it is a bad quality stick, it will go over and over again,
- Weak sectors on the hard drive, which affects folder, files, attributes, cached content or system swap file.
- antivirus scanning files. It does it by default (I will not enter any discussion on this matter),
- Windows indexing rountines crashing, so a directory and extended attributes have to be refreshed every time after each copied file,
- corrupt extended attributes of the folder or a content.
- Windows doing system updates in the background,
- any combination of the above.

Probably even more.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
You really think that the overhead of scanning within memory is that much? Again, depends on the anti virus, as said, you can have some really bad ones. And for 4k files, your reading/writing from HDD to USB is under 2MB/s peak.

And in regards to "irrelevance" of copying over, please show me proof of e.g. windows defender (since most have that as a default) scanning again when copied over from a HDD that is already scanned/indexed.

This is from a quote from Kaspersky:

So if file hasn't been modified (at least recently) it won't scan.

Bitdefender also has that option:

Sadly I can't test it as I have no access to any devices below a 7200RPM HDD storage and an i5 4th gen CPU. Could probably simulate using a VM, but that's a bit too much effort. If you have any concrete numbers, I'd be quite interested to see them. Note anything newer than let's say ~2015.

And every time the virus database gets updated? Probably on a daily basis? It doesn't scan those files because the it didn't find a virus with the previous definitions....so they are ok?

Use your brains, man. That doesn't make sense in the slightest.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
And every time the virus database gets updated? Probably on a daily basis? It doesn't scan those files because the it didn't find a virus with the previous definitions....so they are ok?

Once a day on average, and it will scan when it gets it, not waiting for you to copy and then check.
Use your brain man.

gamer16

Expert Member

Once a day on average, and it will scan when it gets it, not waiting for you to copy and then check.
Use your brain man.
Hey hey you two

ITS IRREVERENT

access

Executive Member
Windows then tells me that I don't have permission to access that folder, but I just tell it to go ahead and give me access.
it then goes through all objects in that folder. ive found sometimes long/obscure file names make it take longer