Why don't they use oil instead of water to cool engines?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nonsense. Why do aircooled engines have powerful fans blowing on fins on the cylinder heads then?
Most lawn mowers are air cooled and the majority don't have an oil cooler.

Nonsense again.
You'll find oil coolers on plenty of water cooled engines.
Ford Essex V6, Mazda RX7, Mercedes Vito ...
And I'm not confusing it with a transmission oil cooler.

Actually you are quite right, I was thinking more from a motorcycle perspective but even then you also have fans in addition to just the oil cooling happening.

And you are quite right about oil coolers in liquid-cooled vehicles, it was a badly worded sentence.

Too much rushing.

boxerulez

Expert Member
Well my vw 1600 runs daily in traffic and holidays it travels all over the country with no problems. Since 2010 I have done 105 000km in it...all it asks for is sae40 and new petrol filter every 2500... it only takes 2.4l of oil so a can of oil takes me 5000kms. It has no temp sensor. Basically your only warning is the generator light. When It comes on you have lost the generator wich drives the cooling fan. Very lowtech but reliability cannot be faulted.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Air cooling doesn't actually cool the engine, but cools the oil going through the engine instead. Ever heard of an oil cooler? Those are pretty much found on air-cooled engines only.

I removed my oil cooler on my watercooled engine.

Fazda

Honorary Master
Well my vw 1600 runs daily in traffic and holidays it travels all over the country with no problems. Since 2010 I have done 105 000km in it...all it asks for is sae40 and new petrol filter every 2500... it only takes 2.4l of oil so a can of oil takes me 5000kms. It has no temp sensor. Basically your only warning is the generator light. When It comes on you have lost the generator wich drives the cooling fan. Very lowtech but reliability cannot be faulted.

One of the beauties of a low tech VW engine - guaranteed these current high tech babies will all be rotting in a scrap yard or worse when they are as old as any VW Beetle engine still running today. :)