Why European businesses are delaying investment in SA

maumau

Honorary Master
About time somebody is held accountable. Hope more foreign companies follow suit, it will force these idiots to fix infrastructure.

"The Finland-based packaging company has sued the city of Ekurhuleni, which lies east of Johannesburg, after an electricity sub-station it depended on blew up twice and affected production and has delayed a 70 million euro ($83 million) investment in new machinery, van der Nest said."

RVQ

Expert Member
While the ANC are at a snails pace working on resolving power generation, as mentioned in this article, power distribution is also now collapsing under ever failing ANC run municipalites. It would be easy enough to privatise generation and focus public resources on distribution and transmission but all the money to be stolen is on generation so the ANC will never move for that just like CR refuses to budge on changing BEE to discourage corruption, fronting and tenderprenaurs

Aghori

Honorary Master
While the ANC are at a snails pace working on resolving power generation, as mentioned in this article, power distribution is also now collapsing under ever failing ANC run municipalites. It would be easy enough to privatise generation and focus public resources on distribution and transmission but all the money to be stolen is on generation so the ANC will never move for that just like CR refuses to budge on changing BEE to discourage corruption, fronting and tenderprenaurs

CR is a puppet for the ANC as a collective. His personal policies are good but he cannot implement anything without their permission.

Reactions: RVQ

hj007

Expert Member
Making it clearer that below r50m of turnover requires no bee requirements for ownership would make a lot of people a but more relaxed.

But I agree, why even bother with the red tape/changing requirements if you can just as easily set up manufacturing next door or manufacture globally and just import. You'd have to MASSIVEly change the entire environment before wanting investors to invest and manufacture locally.

system32

Executive Member
At the same time laws compelling companies to be partially owned by Black South Africans and to procure goods and services from Black-owned companies to help redress the inequities of apartheid are overly bureaucratic and expensive to comply with, the representatives said.
Let's be honest - who likes racist laws?

WollieVerstege

Expert Member
Making it clearer that below r50m of turnover requires no bee requirements for ownership would make a lot of people a but more relaxed.

But I agree, why even bother with the red tape/changing requirements if you can just as easily set up manufacturing next door or manufacture globally and just import. You'd have to MASSIVEly change the entire environment before wanting investors to invest and manufacture locally.
Tried that, does not really work. The very next question from them is, what happens to my investment when turnover goes above R50m.

Arthur

Honorary Master
I can add my $0.02 from direct personal experience. I'm closely involved in an attempt by a European company to purchase two SA companies. The B-BBEE issue nearly killed the deal, and is still not resolved. What's also causing huge delay, and intense frustration for the overseas purchaser, is the red tape and ongoing delay in obtaining excon approval from our overlords. SA stands to lose millions if the purchaser walks away shaking his head because of SA's loony policies and red tape.

RVQ

Expert Member

The black ownership model won't attract investors, you essentially want someone to supply 100% of the capital and give a nobody ownership of something you funded or worst have some corrupt ANC cadre get involved in your company and risk your image on the global stage, that didn't work well for KPMG, SAP and other multinational companies... I say kill the BEE Ownership model and promote training and employment of the disadvantaged, that way investors would be more willing to setup multi-billion rand operations to employ tens of thousands of workers, it wouldn't matter if you black or white because there is the potential for more jobs than people seeking employment...

TelkomUseless

Honorary Master
I can add my $0.02 from direct personal experience. I'm closely involved in an attempt by a European company to purchase two SA companies. The B-BBEE issue nearly killed the deal, and is still not resolved. What's also causing huge delay, and intense frustration for the overseas purchaser, is the red tape and ongoing delay in obtaining excon approval from our overlords. SA stands to lose millions if the purchaser walks away shaking his head because of SA's loony policies and red tape.

ANC doesn't want investments. They say they do "lip service"... but their actions "red tape", bee etc says go-away

etienne_marais

Honorary Master
About time somebody is held accountable. Hope more foreign companies follow suit, it will force these idiots to fix infrastructure.

"The Finland-based packaging company has sued the city of Ekurhuleni, which lies east of Johannesburg, after an electricity sub-station it depended on blew up twice and affected production and has delayed a 70 million euro ($83 million) investment in new machinery, van der Nest said."
You still believe it works that way in Africa ?

hj007

Expert Member
Excon is a complete disaster. It's terrible as a SAn to buy from overseas owners and it's awful for outsiders to invest locally.
Also, you cannot give a timeframe, unlike competition commission approval, so deals just die.

And that's for relatively large transactions - good luck doing something small with a few million.

Milano

Honorary Master
ANC doesn't want investments. They say they do "lip service"... but their actions "red tape", bee etc says go-away
Cyril wants foreign investment in the same way he would “tie” young white South Africans to a “tree” if he could, to stop them leaving South Africa. He is just willing to do absolutely nothing to encourage either. Or maybe he meant lynching :ROFL:

Oldfut

Expert Member
The black ownership model won't attract investors, you essentially want someone to supply 100% of the capital and give a nobody ownership of something you funded or worst have some corrupt ANC cadre get involved in your company and risk your image on the global stage, that didn't work well for KPMG, SAP and other multinational companies... I say kill the BEE Ownership model and promote training and employment of the disadvantaged, that way investors would be more willing to setup multi-billion rand operations to employ tens of thousands of workers, it wouldn't matter if you black or white because there is the potential for more jobs than people seeking employment...

Yeah, family member lost his job (and so did quite a few black people) when an Australian company couldn't stomach the BEE bribe they were going to be forced to pay.