Why fibre takes so long to be installed

Apogee

So the contractor rocked up today on a Sunday to finish the work they started a few weeks ago to get aerial fibre rolled out in the area.

Interesting fact:

According to the contractor they have just been contracted to do what the FNO calls the "Home Pass" portion of the installation, which means running the fibre past the properties.

Although they have all the necessary equipment and manpower to complete the entire installation, another contractor will come at some distant date in the future and do the "Home Connect" portion to complete the job where they run the fibre from the telephone poles into the houses.

Strange that they do it like this, because it will save them time and money by getting the areas completed much sooner if they had one company handle the entire installation. :unsure:

isie

Honorary Master
So the contractor rocked up today on a Sunday to finish the work they started a few weeks ago to get aerial fibre rolled out in the area.

Interesting fact:

According to the contractor they have just been contracted to do what the FNO calls the "Home Pass" portion of the installation, which means running the fibre past the properties.

Although they have all the necessary equipment and manpower to complete the entire installation, another contractor will come at some distant date in the future and do the "Home Connect" portion to complete the job where they run the fibre from the telephone poles into the houses.

Strange that they do it like this, because it will save them time and money by getting the areas completed much sooner if they had one company handle the entire installation. :unsure:
have they tested the fibre lines already installed to confirm their are no broken connections or similar issues?
Did he give you the quotation he gave for home installations compared to the contractor that received the actual contract to do the home inhalation?

Apogee

have they tested the fibre lines already installed to confirm their are no broken connections or similar issues?
Did he give you the quotation he gave for home installations compared to the contractor that received the actual contract to do the home inhalation?
Yes, they worked long hours yesterday into the night to get all this sorted out.

No, we did not talk prices, because that did not involve me. It is between them and the FNO.

I have a theory that it is done this way to ensure that more contractors get a piece of the pie, even though it is delaying the process.

mono2

Yes, they worked long hours yesterday into the night to get all this sorted out.

No, we did not talk prices, because that did not involve me. It is between them and the FNO.

I have a theory that it is done this way to ensure that more contractors get a piece of the pie, even though it is delaying the process.

They do this because not everyone signs up for the service. So they make the area ready but then the last inch connection which is a small install relatively speaking is done only when a client orders service.

It saves alot of money and also time spent on trying to contact property owners.

isie

Honorary Master
That doesn't mean the line was tested by the FNO

So how do you know that they are indeed cheaper as you mentioned in your OP?

you ignoring the part that , you and all your neighbours have to still choose an ISP and book appointments to come into the home and not everyone would randomly allow some guy into the home who just says "hey i'm here to install fibre without any indication from you or making an appointment with you"
I know we live in a super safe country where no one will pretend to be anything they not and rob you any chance they get - but not everyone is as trusting as you and I.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
the "Home Connect" portion to complete the job where they run the fibre from the telephone poles into the houses.

How strange that you expect us, the FNO, to carry the cost of a home drop for a home that hasn't even signed up with an ISP for internets.

I guess we could and just push prices up. I guess you poop yourself over that to.