• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Why hard drives won’t be replaced by SSDs any time soon

OneKnight

SSDs will not be beating HDDs when it comes to storage size anytime soon, but boy does it give you a decent boost in speed.

Upgraded an old Core 2 Duo laptop this weekend with an SSD, and it now beats the lame brand-new Lenovo Core-i7 laptop I set up recently when it comes to the time it takes to complete tasks.

Just take a look at how much time the CPU spends waiting for the HDD in the task manager when you do a clean install of Windows. It basically sits on idle while the HDD maxes out for a long time.

Last edited:

R4ziel

SSDs will not be beating HDDs when it comes to storage size anytime soon, but boy does it give you a decent boost in speed.

Upgraded an old Core 2 Duo laptop this weekend with an SSD, and it now beats the new lame brand-new Lenovo Core-i7 laptop I set up recently when it comes to general processing tasks.

Just take a look at how much time the CPU spends waiting for the HDD when you do a clean install of Windows. It basically sits on idle while the HDD maxes out for a long time.
Yeah speed wise SSD's are great! I recently got an M.2 NVME drive and it is amazing, but unfortunately slow storage capacity is what makes regular HDD's awesome

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Buying a 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD was one of my best purchases ever. So amazing having a decent amount of space on my primary drive.

As for Backblaze, screw them. Their backup upload rates are diabolical and they don't even pretend to offer line speed uploads. If you complain about the upload rates they just refer you to their conventional cloud storage offering.

access

Executive Member
because they are still paying off their hdd manufacturing plants maybe? lol :p

these 2tb 5400rpm drives in laptops are dumb. get rid of this old crap. mass produce ssd at the scale of hdd and the price will drop.

joppenheim

SSD's are a demand-based rip off!

You have admit, that HDD's are far more difficult and costly to produce than SSD's. The material types, the quantities and the moving-part elements (which require far larger assembly plants).

The sizes capable are not a factor, Sandisk has a 256GB MicroSD card available to the public...the size of your little finger nail. If you replaced an 1.8" HDD with a flash drive of the same weight, you could have upwards of 10TB in the same device.

You cannot say R&D...a million flash drives and SD cards are produced per day. The R&D was paid from years ago!

So why are they so expensive? Most probably to recover the costs in producing HDD assembly plants! Consider flash memory manufacturers a new form of OPEC!
I bet my bottom dollar that a these guys would fail an investigation into competition and market manipulation.

garp

Executive Member
You have admit, that HDD's are far more difficult and costly to produce than SSD's. The material types, the quantities and the moving-part elements (which require far larger assembly plants).

The sizes capable are not a factor, Sandisk has a 256GB MicroSD card available to the public...the size of your little finger nail. If you replaced an 1.8" HDD with a flash drive of the same weight, you could have upwards of 10TB in the same device.

You cannot say R&D...a million flash drives and SD cards are produced per day. The R&D was paid from years ago!

So why are they so expensive? Most probably to recover the costs in producing HDD assembly plants! Consider flash memory manufacturers a new form of OPEC!
I bet my bottom dollar that a these guys would fail an investigation into competition and market manipulation.
Just because they're small and have no mechanical parts like an HDD does not make them cheap and easy to produce.

Syphonx

Expert Member

So Samsung is charging so much to recover the costs of the HDD assembly plants of Seagate/Western Digital/Toshiba?? :erm:

[XC] Oj101

Expert Member
So Samsung is charging so much to recover the costs of the HDD assembly plants of Seagate/Western Digital/Toshiba?? :erm:
Did you know Samsung used to make hard drives? Some of the most reliable drives around. The SpinPoint series was legendary.

Dan C

Honorary Master
[XC] Oj101;21253149 said:
Did you know Samsung used to make hard drives? Some of the most reliable drives around. The SpinPoint series was legendary.
I have an external Sammie, been going for years. :)

SYNERGY

Executive Member
My only issue with SSD's are that when it crashes, it crashes badly.

Harder to recover then from a Hdd.