Why I left South Africa and what can be done to keep IT execs in the country

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Hamster

Resident Rodent
What is it with these guys thinking people are interested in their reasons for leaving? And why do they think we are interested in knowing how to have kept them here?

You're not that special bro and only your mom cares that you're gone.

You left: good bye. Now shut up and enjoy those evergreen pastures.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
What is it with these guys thinking people are interested in their reasons for leaving? And why do they think we are interested in knowing how to have kept them here?

They were asked. You should be directing your tirade at MyBB.

maumau

Honorary Master
Why I left South Africa and what can be done to keep IT execs in the country

Many South African ICT professionals and executives are leaving the country, and the main reasons behind their decisions are affirmative action, BEE, and crime.

This emerged from interviews which MyBroadband conducted with high-level ICT executives who left South Africa for Australia, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
Yep! Can't flaw that reasoning.

Same reasons friends and family have left and are leaving.

friedpiggy

And that right there is one of the biggest issues facing this country. The fact that some senior ICT people are leaving and their reasons for doing so is vitally important to this country's well being in the future. Or would you be happy having a cadre running your ISP? If steps aren't taken soon, our best and brightest will be gone and the cadres will be all that is left and we all know how well they "run" things.

Just so everyone is on the same page here, by cadres I mean political appointees.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
They were asked. You should be directing your tirade at MyBB.
This is true, although I know a couple of them that just can't leave SA alone.

Posts like "I hear the banks are retrenching people", "how do you find the economy?" and "I'm helping extract more people from SA".

Just.... irritating. I really wish those that leave (including myself some time in the future) would just forget about SA.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
And that right there is one of the biggest issues facing this country. The fact that some senior ICT people are leaving and their reasons for doing so is vitally important to this country's well being in the future. Or would you be happy having a cadre running your ISP? If steps aren't taken soon, our best and brightest will be gone and the cadres will be all that is left and we all know how well they "run" things.

Just so everyone is on the same page here, by cadres I mean political appointees.
Oh please - biggest issues facing this country is education, a small tax payer base and the inability to attract foreign investments.

ICT execs are leaving, for the most part, because fear for their children's future, more money and first world perks.... just like everybody else.

There's nothing special about this sector except that we have it the easiest - lots of money and lots of jobs available.

Call me when there is an article about "construction execs", educators anf doctors leaving the country.

ekske1

Executive Member
Oh please - biggest issues facing this country is education, a small tax payer base and the inability to attract foreign investments.

ICT execs are leaving, for the most part, because fear for their children's future, more money and first world perks.... just like everybody else.

There's nothing special about this sector except that we have it the easiest - lots of money and lots of jobs available.

Call me when there is an article about "construction execs", educators anf doctors leaving the country.
Remember, it is internet first and before things like these. Cadre Internet would be really bad..

RedViking

Nord of the South
Why he not tell us there was a garage sale!!

Please post article with a link to garage sale!

Spizz

Goat Botherer
This is true, although I know a couple of them that just can't leave SA alone.

Posts like "I hear the banks are retrenching people", "how do you find the economy?" and "I'm helping extract more people from SA".

Just.... irritating. I really wish those that leave (including myself some time in the future) would just forget about SA.
It's been like this for years. Most people who leave do so reluctantly as they know life in SA is hard to emulate elsewhere. So they take to justifying their leaving by dissing the country or hoping it goes tits up.

But all the same, it'd be hard just to go and not look back in one way or another. Especially as I said, lot's leave reluctantly for whatever reason so I don't think it's fair to expect people just to forget about their country. The vast majority will still care about it.

krycor

Honorary Master
Depends.. the bitter ones form communities in Aus and Nzl which are nasty. Their life doesn’t improve as they hold onto the past and so the new country has the same issues.

The guys that succeed usually let go of past and see new country for what it is.

Granted SA is not a scenario you can easily replicate except my by going to US.

Milano

Honorary Master
Granted SA is not a scenario you can easily replicate except my by going to US.
Have been a member of a few of those South Africans living in the US groups just to view things there from their perspective. They are obsessed with posting SA news and articles, obsessed with living in the past. They are seldom nasty, they just cannot let go. Even those living in the US for 15+ years, living financially successful lives cannot release what is an obsession for them. I believe with their political issues the US is a particularly toxic environment for Saffers. Too close to home. There are healthier options globally.