Why I left South Africa and what can be done to keep IT execs in the country

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
What is it with these guys thinking people are interested in their reasons for leaving? And why do they think we are interested in knowing how to have kept them here?

You're not that special bro and only your mom cares that you're gone.

You left: good bye. Now shut up and enjoy those evergreen pastures.
Same reason as always - a huge number of South Africans are seriously considering emigrating and they like reading feedback from Saffers who have already left.

Markd

I recently watched my dad die at home, around 1 week after NOT being admitted to a local large government hospital because they had no beds. I wonder about my mom getting the same treatment. I need to find extra cash to save so I can send my son to a school where he'll get a half decent education. I need private security because the police are lame. All this despite the fact that I pay enough tax to employ a person at a comfortable rate. I think I'm out boys and girls. My family need better than this. This is before even mentioning load shedding, BEE, water shortages, land expropriation rhetoric, and corruption.

cda

ICT execs are leaving, for the most part, because fear for their children's future, more money and first world perks.... just like everybody else.

There's nothing special about this sector except that we have it the easiest - lots of money and lots of jobs available.
IT exec here who left recently.

I didn’t leave for money, and I have no children. I left because the stress of seeing people suffer and being exposed to the rampant race based politics and ostrich-head-in-the-sand attitude like yours signald the end of rational thought and any interest in making things better.

Probably you are not exposed to IT management politics but due to the growing void of competence in the hiring base and massive corruption above it simply became impossible to do business or make any real impact to rapidly collapsing infrastructure.

The economic situation has killed IT budgets nearly everywhere, along with out investments and savings, and companies have outsourced almost everything to money grabbing useless management consultants for the kick backs and because they are unable to get competent staff with the funds available to them.

Unless you want to click buttons in a web interface and spend your life talking to idiots there is no more IT happening in SA, people are not innovating and they have no imagination or drive left.

And of course, computers don’t work terribly well without electricity.

Sorry to say if you are one of the many millions not fortunate enough to qualify for immigration but your future is very very bleak for the next few years.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I recently watched my dad die at home, around 1 week after NOT being admitted to a local large government hospital because they had no beds. I wonder about my mom getting the same treatment. I need to find extra cash to save so I can send my son to a school where he'll get a half decent education. I need private security because the police are lame. All this despite the fact that I pay enough tax to employ a person at a comfortable rate. I think I'm out boys and girls. My family need better than this. This is before even mentioning load shedding, BEE, water shortages, land expropriation rhetoric, and corruption.
Should've had a medical aid.

I didn’t leave for money, and I have no children. I left because the stress of seeing people suffer and being exposed to the rampant race based politics and ostrich-head-in-the-sand attitude like yours signald the end of rational thought and any interest in making things better.

Probably you are not exposed to IT management politics but due to the growing void of competence in the hiring base and massive corruption above it simply became impossible to do business or make any real impact to rapidly collapsing infrastructure.

The economic situation has killed IT budgets nearly everywhere, along with out investments and savings, and companies have outsourced almost everything to money grabbing useless management consultants for the kick backs and because they are unable to get competent staff with the funds available to them.

Unless you want to click buttons in a web interface and spend your life talking to idiots there is no more IT happening in SA, people are not innovating and they have no imagination or drive left.

Sorry to say if you are one of the many millions not fortunate enough to qualify for immigration but your future is very very bleak for the next few years.
Do you perhaps have tonight's lotto numbers for me since you can predict things with such accuracy?

Excalibur

Expert Member
What emerged from the feedback was that a lack of opportunities caused by affirmative action and Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) were the main reasons for leaving the country.
Good execs will still get opportunities in spite of BEE. These must be people who rose to management just because they were white even though they were not qualified.

cguy

Executive Member
Have been a member of a few of those South Africans living in the US groups just to view things there from their perspective. They are obsessed with posting SA news and articles, obsessed with living in the past. They are seldom nasty, they just cannot let go. Even those living in the US for 15+ years, living financially successful lives cannot release what is an obsession for them. I believe with their political issues the US is a particularly toxic environment for Saffers. Too close to home. There are healthier options globally.
I can’t really say that I’ve seen any of this. The biggest topics by far are H1B processing times, green card application procedures and citizenship application discussions. I’ve also never experienced any Saffer specific toxicity.

RoboJedi

When you come to think about it, there is no good reason to suffer in this sh1thole of a country. Get out while you still can and enjoy what's left of your life. Leave this country to it's inevitable fate. It's not going to end well.
People like this should just leave... and if you have left already move on and leave the ret of us in our beautiful “shithole” where we are happy.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Happy to live in a shithole... #IQfail
For a Foreigner you seem more than happy to be always hanging around this shithole, there must be something nice in the shithole for an esteemed Foreigners like you to be so interested.

Markd

Should've had a medical aid.
Difficult to get at a price you can afford when you are over 80 and would need to pay a premium (or penalty). And that's exactly the point - in this country you are utterly dependent on your medical aid for any kind of decent medical care, and that should NOT be the case. Do you have a plan to be on premium medical aid post retirement and are you on track with your retirement savings? Have you thought that far ahead? Because if not, you too are probably SCREWED if anything goes wrong. Nevermind the fact that we are literally a decade or more away from getting medicines for diseases like cancer that are already available, and largely at no cost, in better run countries. I could buy another house with the money I spend on medical aid.

Hamster

Resident Rodent

Nobody is under the illusion that things are great here and that's not the issue I'm addressing. In fact I never even said it was. The issue is guys who left coming back and telling us how bad it is here. They can't help themselves.

Example: had you read my posts you'd have known that but here we are with somebody telling us about racism, electricity (and the my "favourite" ex CTO line) how crap SA IT is.

I mean just look at your post: a wall of anti-SA expat text.

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
It is really very simple why people are leaving the country. If they are too afraid to state the facts, here they are.

Affirmative Action and BEE is f**king up business and the economy. No matter in what industry you are, chances are good very few of you will be employed in 10 years from now. Companies are scaling down, they simply do not grow or perform like they did 20 years ago. It is check-mate for the private sector in South Africa.

This is even more true when you are white, getting married and having children. Your children will not have any future in this country, public or private, no matter. They will be punished for the colour of their skin for the next few millenniums.

The ANC has failed this country in each and every aspect possible. There is not one single good thing they did from 1994. They are now at a point of wanting to nationalize everything, change the constitution to allow them to take white-owned land without compensation. They have killed the economy to a point where large businesses can no longer function properly.

Everything under control of the ANC has collapsed, SOE's, Municipalities, Law Enforcement, Military, Judicial system, health services and much more. Crime is rampant and people's lives are in constant danger in this country. We are probably the number 1 country in the world when it comes to violent crimes.

Since everything under their control has collapsed, the government is now zooming in on the private sector. They want more control over how companies are run, how and where private investment firms invest, and much more.

It is clear where this country is heading, and at a fast pace too.

There is nothing left for any person in this country. If you can leave now, it will be a great decision.

whatwhat

Executive Member
I left SA and still check in with what is going on because I have friends and family that remain.
It's hard not to feel guilty about leaving them behind as not everyone has that option to leave if they chose to.

MidnightWizard

Expert Member
It is really very simple why people are leaving the country. If they are too afraid
There is nothing left for any person in this country. If you can leave now, it will be a great decision.
Yoh brother
To get an idea of how useless the inhabitants of AFRICA are
Follow along on this journey

Joanna Lumley's Silk Road Adventure

Forget about the blonde for a moment ( although she looks prettty good for her age )

You will see places and people that from a Western ( American ) perspective are considered "undeveloped"
Carefully follow along as you travel along on the old silk road -- LOOK at the "undeveloped"cities
SEE how these "undeveloped" nations compare to AFRICA and AFRICANS
NOW
Ask yourself HOW ANY intelligent person who can read and has an interest in the rest of the World OUTSIDE South Africa.
Who has traveled to these regions ( and pretty much anywhere else ) can see Africa as anything else OTHER than a "SHYTHOLE" still stuck in the STONE-AGE !

Still
I suppose this lesson will be LOST on all the "Jopie Fouries" who still think the -- Die Jerusalemgangers -- discovered the NILE in NYLSTROOM !

Die Jerusalemgangers (ook bekend as die Enselin-party) was ’n groep Voortrekkers in Transvaal wat oor land na Jerusalem in Palestina wou trek, veral omdat hulle wou ontsnap aan Britse heerskappy in Suider-Afrika. Hulle het in 1837 uit die omgewing van die huidige Tarkastad na Natal getrek en ná die Britse anneksasie in 1844 van daar na die Vrystaat en eindelik Transvaal.

Ná sy en talle van sy volgelinge se dood tydens ’n malaria-epidemie aan die vooraand van hul beplande trek na Jerusalem, het die Jerusalemgangers as groep verdwyn en sewe jaar later het die meeste oorlewendes by die pas gestigte Gereformeerde Kerk aangesluit. Sy groep, ook bekend as die Enslin-party of –groep, se grootste nalatenskap is die stigting enkele jare ná sy dood van die dorp Nylstroom,[4] wat hulle so genoem het weens hul gebrekkige geografiese kennis wat hulle laat glo het hulle het die suide van Egipte bereik.[5]

Jerusalemgangers

Johan Adam Enslin

The hallmark of the "Jopie Fouries" leading us to mythical places in order to meet our collective deaths ..........

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
The hallmark of the "Jopie Fouries" leading us to mythical places in order to meet our collective deaths ..........
Can't help wondering why you have such a deadly fear for the 'Jopie Fouries'......

Let me remind you of what something some very famous people wrote...

"Give me 20 divisions of American soldiers and I will breach Europe . Give me
15 consisting of Englishmen, and I will advance to the borders of Berlin ..
Give me two divisions of those marvellous fighting Boers and I will remove Germany from the face of the earth."
Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery, Commander of the Allied forces during WWII.

"The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honour and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it."
American General, George "Guts and Glory" Patton

"Take a community of Dutchmen of the type of those who defended themselves for fifty years against all the power of Spain at a time when Spain was the greatest power in the world. Intermix with them a strain of those inflexible French Huguenots, who gave up their name and left their country forever at the time of the revocation of the Edict of Nantes . The product must obviously be one of the most rugged, virile, unconquerable races ever seen upon the face of the earth. Take these formidable people and train them for seven generations in constant warfare against savage men and ferocious beasts, in circumstances in which no weakling could survive; place them so that they acquire skill with weapons and in horsemanship, give them a country which is eminently suited to the tactics of the huntsman, the marksman and the rider. Then, finally, put a fine temper upon their military qualities by a dour fatalistic Old Testament religion and an ardent and consuming patriotism. Combine all these qualities and all these impulses in one individual and you have the modern Boer."
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

RoboJedi

It is really very simple why people are leaving the country. If they are too afraid to state the facts, here they are.

Affirmative Action and BEE is f**king up business and the economy. No matter in what industry you are, chances are good very few of you will be employed in 10 years from now. Companies are scaling down, they simply do not grow or perform like they did 20 years ago. It is check-mate for the private sector in South Africa.

This is even more true when you are white, getting married and having children. Your children will not have any future in this country, public or private, no matter. They will be punished for the colour of their skin for the next few millenniums.

The ANC has failed this country in each and every aspect possible. There is not one single good thing they did from 1994. They are now at a point of wanting to nationalize everything, change the constitution to allow them to take white-owned land without compensation. They have killed the economy to a point where large businesses can no longer function properly.

Everything under control of the ANC has collapsed, SOE's, Municipalities, Law Enforcement, Military, Judicial system, health services and much more. Crime is rampant and people's lives are in constant danger in this country. We are probably the number 1 country in the world when it comes to violent crimes.

Since everything under their control has collapsed, the government is now zooming in on the private sector. They want more control over how companies are run, how and where private investment firms invest, and much more.

It is clear where this country is heading, and at a fast pace too.

All very scientific...