Why I left South Africa and what can be done to keep IT execs in the country

Brenden_E

Expert Member
You can't really believe that BEE is about stroking egos, that is very disingenuous.

Clearly the country could not carry on in the way that it had been up until 1994, the changes we are seeing are an effort to make the requisite changes. Like you (I think) I have some reservations about how this is undertaken but in the broader strokes it must happen.

I think a lot of people forget how close we came to civil war. You can still see utter idiots suggesting it in response to the new Expropriation Bill in the same breath as they claim that SA is being destroyed by BEE.

Literally nothing will destroy this country quicker than civil war.
We're talking high level execs that in charge of thousands of people. BEE has no place there, as these people are responsible for safe guardian the majority of the country's jobs.

If you want to implement BEE do so on entry level jobs. If Sipho stuffs up some code on a deploy it's not the end of the world. Just as when Steve stuffed it up - this is where you learn. If a black person is given an opportunity here and he shines, he will naturally climb the ladder.

We will not have a civil war because a person didn't get to be a CEO of a bank - that my friend is disingenuous.

Beyond.Celsus

Expert Member
There are many South Africans hanging around giving their opinions about the US, even though they have never lived there. What's so strange about reading and giving opinions about a country that was your home for 25+ years, that you still have many friends in and actually care about?

It is also human to compare the two less-than-ideal paths regularly when you have been forced to choose one, to reassure yourself that you made the right choice.
I would say most people who left wishes that SA could be in such a state that they did not feel the need to leave.
There is a difference in showing interest and out right bragging and stroking your own kawk about how 'glad you are for leaving'

Keep it to yourself.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Have been a member of a few of those South Africans living in the US groups just to view things there from their perspective. They are obsessed with posting SA news and articles, obsessed with living in the past. They are seldom nasty, they just cannot let go. Even those living in the US for 15+ years, living financially successful lives cannot release what is an obsession for them. I believe with their political issues the US is a particularly toxic environment for Saffers. Too close to home. There are healthier options globally.
I think you say that to yourself to make yourself feel better that you haven't not followed them yet. Not denying that there are some nasty people out there tho.
I have family & friends overseas and they couldn't be happier, nobody expects unicorns dancing in the street just that things should work as they don't over here anymore.
Yes they miss a lot of things, people etc but none of them obsess about SA, in fact its the other way around, we're tired by now of hearing how good & exiting life is in their new countries.

Jola

Honorary Master
Oh please - biggest issues facing this country is education, a small tax payer base and the inability to attract foreign investments.

Call me when there is an article about "construction execs", educators anf doctors leaving the country.
I know a number of construction experts and doctors that have left the country.

And what do you think causes the small taxpayer base and inability to attract foreign investments ?

And you can lay the education debacle right at the feet of the ANC, like most other problems.

Reactions: cda

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Says those with half a brain. Nobody expects a retard like you to understand the complexity.
Your post doesn't make sense nor is it fair. I have proof that you are a knob cake where as you don't have any proof that I'm a retard. Hence, I have to now assume that you are dumb and presumptuous as well, possibly even projecting your own mental shortcomings.

Milano

Honorary Master
I think you say that to yourself to make yourself feel better that you haven't not followed them yet. Not denying that there are some nasty people out there tho.
I have family & friends overseas and they couldn't be happier, nobody expects unicorns dancing in the street just that things should work as they don't over here anymore.
Yes they miss a lot of things, people etc but none of them obsess about SA, in fact its the other way around, we're tired by now of hearing how good & exiting life is in their new countries.
Not at all, I am leaving SA permanently this year and always supported people leaving as per my post history. Simply reporting what I see in these groups. I understand that in SA it is SA for breakfast, SA for lunch and SA for dinner. But outside SA it is like the country does not exist.

When outside SA, the country hardly occurs to me in any context as it commands very minimal media interest. It is like being on a different planet. Personally I find it odd how much some continue to obsess about SA in these US groups. And like I said very seldom in a nasty way, just in an obsessive way. It could have much to do with the US context of the US facing such divisive political and racial tensions that it is perhaps easier to get stuck in that same mindset inherited from SA.

cguy

Executive Member
Good execs will still get opportunities in spite of BEE. These must be people who rose to management just because they were white even though they were not qualified.
I left not because I couldn’t get opportunities, but because there were better opportunities overseas and there was/is a risk of not getting opportunities locally in the future. I am sure that this reasoning is shared by many good execs who left.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Leaving was a relatively easy decision, arriving on the other side was definitely difficult. It would have been easier and less stressful to stay, and I wish I didn't feel like I'm split between the two.

cda

Leaving was a relatively easy decision, arriving on the other side was definitely difficult. It would have been easier and less stressful to stay, and I wish I didn't feel like I'm split between the two.
Something I accepted before hand was that I would definitely have to eat dirt for a few months at least to get started but it’s an investment in ones future.

No one understand what the process really means to go through until they actually do it, so I have absolutely no interest in anyone’s comments and arm chair criticism.

cguy

Executive Member
Something I accepted before hand was that I would definitely have to eat dirt for a few months at least to get started but it’s an investment in ones future.

No one understand what the process really means to go through until they actually do it, so I have absolutely no interest in anyone’s comments and arm chair criticism.
Same here, for a few years though. The company somehow missed that I had several years of development and management experience, and treated me like a fresh university grad. One bank wouldn’t give me a debit card because they were concerned that I wouldn’t know how to use it.

The ultimate pay off was immense though, so no regrets at all.