Why I switched from Telkom to Vodacom

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Why I switched from Telkom to Vodacom

After many years of being a Telkom mobile subscriber, I moved to Vodacom. The reasons are simple – Telkom has roaming problems and Vodacom now offers big data deals on an excellent network.

Over the last few years, Telkom showed strong mobile growth thanks to its good value proposition to consumers.

Bad1

Vodacrap wants to destroy Telkom mobile, see them as a threat, wonder why telkom suddenly left mtn, somone got a cookie from vodacom, most of vodacom shareholders are in Europe, they wouldn't be happy if the competition brought affordable data to South Africans. Telkom was perfect before signing with vodacrap, have you noticed telkoms large low cost data packages are slowly disappearing ever since joining an agreement with vodacom, Vodacom is private company after all and according to many in this forum has a right to charge any price and make billions even though we live with corrupt governments, milking the middle class bubble will burst someday!

Polymathic

Honorary Master
There's only one place I go to that does not have Telkom coverage so fortunately I'm not affected by the change to roaming on Vodacom too much

chefdude98

Expert Member
Why are you comparing Telkom PREPAID deals to Vodacom CONTRACT deals?

You need to take out a contract to access these deals, use a dual sim phone or mifi router.

I am all for calling out Telkom but the article is misleading.

You could have also mention Mtn PREPAID data from Afrihost/Axxess. It is direct comparison to Telkom Mobile prepaid than the Contracts you mentioned.

namzsteve

Expert Member
I honestly don't see an issue with Telkom since the switch, same old crappy company as they were with MTN. All this roaming nonsense will be sorted, hopefully.
Just normal teething issues, mybb forum site also had issues when they upgraded.

Randux

Expert Member
Is the battery drainage issue back or is it my battery ageing?

gamer16

Honorary Master
No roaming issue here. Might want check what's being stated as fact.
Mate there are a boat load of threads on it, probably a 1000 comments and I'm fairy sure Telkom acknowledged it.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Why are you comparing Telkom PREPAID deals to Vodacom CONTRACT deals?

You need to take out a contract to access these deals, use a dual sim phone or mifi router.

I am all for calling out Telkom but the article is misleading.

You could have also mention Mtn PREPAID data from Afrihost/Axxess. It is direct comparison to Telkom Mobile prepaid than the Contracts you mentioned.
Valid point.

But one can compare contract packages and Vodacom data contract prices are now comparable with Telkoms.

sgs

No roaming issue here. Might want check what's being stated as fact.
Agreed. I manage a few Telkom sims across contract and prepaid, and all work perfectly, both roaming or not.
I suspect the people complaining are far in the minority. (Or the problems are region specific.)