Why is Google suddenly asking for your Birthday?

airborne

Honorary Master
Why is Google suddenly asking for your Birthday, got a request yesterday?
If you don't give your birthday they will eventually disable your Google account.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
It's a requirement when you create any new Google account and it's just to verify your age.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Why is Google suddenly asking for your Birthday, got a request yesterday?
If you don't give your birthday they will eventually disable your Google account.
Probably something about confirming that you're above a certain age, rules about internet services for children etc.

Google has known my birthday since I got my Gmail address back in 2006. So I'm not sure if there's been a change.

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
Probably something about confirming that you're above a certain age, rules about internet services for children etc.

Google has known my birthday since I got my Gmail address back in 2006. So I'm not sure if there's been a change.

If you have had an account since 2006, you must be over 18 by now! /s

airborne

Honorary Master
For some reason I was allowed to open my Google account without giving them my age.
I've had the account for probably 10yrs and this is the first request for my age.
It was Google notification on my phone.

saor

Honorary Master
Probably had an algo sweeping your history figuring out your age. They need confirmation to gauge the algo success.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

cpu.

Executive Member
For some reason I was allowed to open my Google account without giving them my age.
I've had the account for probably 10yrs and this is the first request for my age.
It was Google notification on my phone.
Back then a lot of info was optional, including phone number.

I opened my account around Oct 2005 when I was in the UK. Very little was required although I did supply my made up birthday (always 01/01/birthyear).

airborne

Honorary Master
This is what I am waiting to see :p
I thought about trying that but it's my main account and when your Google account goes tits up there's no one to talk to, you just flush that account down the drain.

carnagelan

How did you get that?
I'd definitely sell my soul/birthday for a 150gb lifetime upgrade
It was just offered to me. Remember i been using gmail with the same email since it was started. I guess thats why. Roughly around 20 years

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If you have had an account since 2006, you must be over 18 by now! /s
You do accept that there is a difference between physical age and mental age? Never understood what physical age has to do with maturity.